Dynamic range for VLookup

phalcon45

Im looking for the syntax to set the formula in a cell to a VLookup based on the total count of rows in the lookup table. For example "VLookup(A1,Sheet1!B1:K500,5,False" where K500 might change from 500 to some other number depending on how many rows are in Sheet1 with data in them.

If memory serves me I've done this in the past using a DIM that I set to the CountA value earlier in the script but I cant remember how I did it...

Any thoughts might help me remember how I did it before (years ago)

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if you are talking about VBA code here or in a worksheet formula.

For a worksheet formula you will need to create a dynamic named ranges and for code you will have to find the last value and this site should be able to answer both for you.

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html#last_any

I probably didnt explain what Im trying to do very well. I need the cell in the spreadsheet to have the formula VLookup(A1,Sheet1!B1:K500,5,False) but I need the VB Script to adjust the K500 part to whatever the actual table range is (its a list of employee names that grows and shrinks). So it may need to be VLookup(A1,Sheet1!B1:K503,5,False) or VLookup(A1,Sheet1!B1:K610,5,False) etc.

Upvote 0
I think you explained yourself ok, except for the part where you tell us, are you using a straight worksheet formula or VBA?

I read you are working with a worksheet formula.

1) Create a named range

• Ctrl + F3 (Opens Name Manager)
  • New
  • Name: MyRange
  • Refers to: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$1,,,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B),10)
  • OK

2) Apply the named range to your formula

• =VLOOKUP(A1,MyRange,5,0)

This named range will adjust based off of the length of column B. I understand you said column K, but your table starts with column B; therefore, column B would be the most logical column to create the length. The width is to column K, 10 column from column B.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back