avoydik

Hi everyone,

I am working on a calendar project where my desired end result is to have a gantt style depiction of activities adjacent to employee names. A basic overview of the calendar is this:

$C$13:$NC$13 shows the month and year "mmm yy"
$C$14:$NC$14 shows the day of the month "dd"
$C$15:$NC$15 shows the day of the week "ddd"

$B$16:$B$390 is confined within an excel table (Table 5) and is under a header titled [Name], this is where I have a list of employee names.

Underneath the calendar there is another table (Table 2) where data is stored which depicts activities that I would like to display in the region of $C$16:$NC$390.
Each activity has an employee name, title, start date and end date. I have a formula that uses address, index and match to give me the cell address within $C$16:$NC$390 where the start date of an activity and the employee name intersect if it matches the information contained in Table 2. I duplicated the same formula to give an address of where the end date and the employee name match as well. Adjacent to those formulas I have a column where I concatenated the two previous values into a range.

I would like to conditionally format (color) the cells contained within $C$16:$NC$390 according to the ranges listed in the concatenate column of Table 2.

If possible I would like to show the name of the activity in the highlighted portion as well. I am at a loss as how to accomplish this task, most of the article I read show how to color cells based on their individual value, however in this instance I am relying on the value of different cell to color a defined blank range. I am more than willing to apply these outcomes through vba if necessary, I'm just trying to keep the file as small and quick as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hey. Welcome to the forum. I think that perhaps you're approaching it from the wrong direction. I set up a subset of your example and I don't think you need to concern yourself with where activities start and end in the calendar. Here's what I've got:

Book1
BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVW
13Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18Jan 18
15MonTueWedThuFriSatSunMonTueWedThuFriSatSunMonTueWedThuFriSatSun
16AliceFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUEFALSEFALSE
17BrianFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSE
18CarysFALSETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUETRUEFALSE
19DavidFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSE
20ErinFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSE
21FredTRUETRUETRUEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSE
25AliceTitle 108/01/201819/01/2018
26CarysTitle 202/01/201820/01/2018
27FredTitle 301/01/201803/01/2018
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C16=COUNTIFS($B$25:$B$30,$B16,$D$25:$D$30,"<="&C$13,$E$25:$E$30,">="&C$13)>0

If you base your conditional formatting on the formula I've put in C16 (which can be copied across and down), that should show when people are allocated to tasks.

WBD

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back