Can I scan Barcodes directly to designated cell columns?

mxx12a

So I work at a shop with a rental program we are trying to digitalize. I am pretty good with excel so I created a document that does almost everything I want. What would be nice for it to do that it currently does not is scan items in and out. Best case scenario, when an item is being checked out, I will scan a barcode on the item (barcode would never change), the excel page will jump to that specific items column and populate a date of check out. Then, when the customer returns it, I once again scan that same barcode and it will populate a different cell for being checked back in. One item will always be in the same column, we will just have long lists of costumers who checked it out and back in.

Is this possible? Or at least part of it possible? I know I can scan a barcode and populate a cell with the #s , but can excel jump to a specific cell when I do
I can give a better explanation if necessary.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Bump as im looking for something similar

I would like to scan 2 EAN barcodes (results in Column A and B) then column C to output the current time and then drop to next row.

By default. when scanning the cell drops down as a scan includes carriage return

Upvote 0
@ mxx12a:

Yes, this is possible. From the viewpoint of Excel, scanning a barcode is identical to using a keyboard for typing a string of characters and pressing Enter. So, all you need to do is to develop an Excel sheet where you would type a certain string/number, press Enter, and a certain cell in a certain column would be populated with a date. Such a sheet will work with a barcode reader, too.

Upvote 0
How would I actually go about this though? Is there a step by step or YouTube tutorial you could link as I dont know what to search to find this. But im glad it is possible, we are now making progress!

Upvote 0
I would suggest something like this:
- On a sheet, you would have a single selectable unlocked cell where you would enter/scan in an item ID;
- The entered/scanned-in ID would trigger a VBA Worksheet_Change event sub;
- The sub would find the cells/columns associated with the ID;
- The sub would flip the "in/out" status for the ID and would put today's date/time in the corresponding cell(s);
- The sub would show an "ID XXXX: Status updated" message, clear the ID entry cell, and exit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back