Count #of times an ID(name) appears and place the value in another column

SeanDD

Did a search, but did not find an answer that appeared to be what I was looking for.
I have a weekly report that is sent to me (.csv file), the report is 8 rows long and 8 columns wide (A-H).
The table essentially looks like this:

Date:2/16/2018blankTime7:00:00blankSystem Name:XXCCDS
NameXXCCDS
OperatorGNE\caguyonj
ActionStartup
Comment
Revision

<tbody>
</tbody>

Depending on how many users (operators) log on and log off during a week, this report could be extremely long.
What I'm trying to do is determine how many times a specific 'operator' shows up within a weekly report. I thought of using a vlookup, but I do not have a table in which to base my 'lookup' information off. 'Operators' are constantly being added and removed with their own specific 'ID'.
Is there anyway in which I could input a formula in which in another column it would show me the 'Operator' ID and the number of times their ID shows up within the report next to their name?
If this is beyond what a 'newbie' should be working on, I understand, just finding more and more tasks in which Excel is very useful to me in this job.
Thank you for any assistance.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hi,

This example you've shown here is for one user only, right? How will the table look if you have for example 5 users in it?

Upvote 0
Sorry, feel a little stupid now. That is where my issue really is, this report will have over 50 different possible users 'Operators'. The real piece of data I'm looking at is the Operator. How often they show up and the ability to count how often the name shows up.
So, yes, my example only showed one user, but their will be quite a few different user names to count and sort.

Upvote 0
You can count the number of times a value occours in a range with the formula:

=COUNTIF(A1:H8;J1)

Where you type in the OperatorID in cell J1. But this is maybe not what you want?

Upvote 0
I do not have a list of Operators that I can reference and ensure that the list will always be up to date. Otherwise I believe I could use vlookup if I had a list. This is the issue, using countif and a wildcard at the end of GNE\* will provide me the number of Operators with the prefix of GNE\, but I also need to separate each individual Operator per their own ID.
Appreciate all the help

Upvote 0
I understand your wish. I don't think you can do this with a formula. But you can do a lot more with vba if that is an option.

Upvote 0
if VBA is another term for an excel macro, than yes, it is an option. I have an excel book and will have to see if it can show me a way to solve this issue.
Thanks again,

Upvote 0
That is nice Trimmjens. It does fit my sheet, but there are some counting issues I will need to work out. the way it's counting seems strange, but I'm going to put a little time towards it and see if I can understand how this thing works.
Hopefully I can get this to work while presenting the data in a correct format.

Thank you very much.

Upvote 0
I know the way the code prints the list is not perfect. But I just made an idea so that you can work out a better way.
If you have other questions I'll try to help.

Thomas

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back