Formula - Truly Absolute Reference

SteveOranjin

Board Regular
Hello,

I've got a simple count formula that I use as a part of a worksheet I use for work. One of the formulas I have in it is designed to count the number of rows populated in column A. But if I delete a column, and I often times need to, the cell reference goes to null. My question is, is there a way to reference the first row of a sheet - so it is effectively referencing that first row - A - absolutely, even if I should delete A and a new "A" column should take the place of the old one?

Steve

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Please post your formula, and let us know what cell you are putting it in.

Upvote 0
I've got a simple count formula that I use as a part of a worksheet I use for work. One of the formulas I have in it is designed to count the number of rows populated in column A. But if I delete a column, and I often times need to, the cell reference goes to null. My question is, is there a way to reference the first row of a sheet - so it is effectively referencing that first row - A - absolutely, even if I should delete A and a new "A" column should take the place of the old one?
It sounds like you may be looking for something like this...

=COUNTA(INDIRECT("A:A"))

Upvote 0
=COUNTA(INDIRECT(Sheet1!A:A))
It gives me a grand total of 1
Not if you include the quote marks that my formula was posted with (the INDIRECT function requires a text argument)...

=COUNTA(INDIRECT("Sheet1!A:A"))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't make myself very clear there. For example - it will in MOST Cased be filled with the name of a company. So it will have data that says something to the effect of, "Comcast". or "Matco Norca". The Cell A1 will have a header.

I believe that the formula is good. The problem is, that at times I delete columns. In which case, the column that the formula was referencing is gone. There is also a header, which i usually subtract from the count.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back