isidearmi

Hello,

The code below used to work, but it was pulling from data that was set up as such:

Operator Name = "J Doe"

The quotes were since removed and the raw data now looks like this:

Operator Name = J Doe

How do I adjust this code below to pull correctly again?

Thank you!

blnSkip = False

strFindWhat = "Operator Name"

openPos = InStr(.Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Value, """")

If blnSkip = False Then
closePos = InStrRev(.Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Value, """")
strOperatorName = Mid(.Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Value, openPos + 1, closePos - openPos - 1)
End If

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
If you want to find a string starting with 'Operator Name' in column A and then extract the name after the '=' you could try something like this.
Code:
Dim Res As Variant

Res = Application.Match("Operator Name*", .Range("A:A"), 0)

If Not IsError(Res) Then
        If InStr(.Range("A" & Res).Value, "=") Then
            strOperatorName = Split(.Range("A" & Res).Value, "=")(1)
        End If
    End If

Upvote 0
Hello,

The code below used to work, but it was pulling from data that was set up as such:

Operator Name = "J Doe"

The quotes were since removed and the raw data now looks like this:

Operator Name = J Doe

How do I adjust this code below to pull correctly again?

Thank you!

blnSkip = False

openPos = InStr(.Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Value, """")

If blnSkip = False Then
closePos = InStrRev(.Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Value, """")
strOperatorName = Mid(.Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Value, openPos + 1, closePos - openPos - 1)
End If

Leaving your code as similar as possible:

Code:
    blnSkip = False

openpos = InStr(.Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Value, "=") + 1

If blnSkip = False Then
        closepos = Len(.Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Value)
        strOperatorName = Mid(.Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Value, openpos + 1, closepos - openpos)
    End If

I'm assuming this is part of a larger piece of code (as the .Range doesn't work unless it's contained within With ActiveSheet or With Sheets(i), etc and End With​)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, it's a part of a longer piece of code. I came up with a similar solution to yours, and am now receiving a "Subscript out of range" error.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's a part of a longer piece of code. I came up with a similar solution to yours, and am now receiving a "Subscript out of range" error.

Without more information (i.e. what the actual input is, to this section of code) it's very hard to ascertain what's going on.

At a guess, I'd say there is an entry where it says "Operator Name" in the cell, but maybe doesn't have an equals sign in there... or is missing a name completely.

You could add the following in:

where it says:

Code:
strOperatorName = Mid(.Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Value, openpos + 1, closepos - openpos)

change it (temporarily) to:

Code:
On Error Resume Next
  strOperatorName = Mid(.Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Value, openPos + 1, closePos - openPos)
  If Err.Number <> 0 Then MsgBox .Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Row & " - " & .Range("A:A").Find(What:=strFindWhat, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchorder:=xlByRows).Value
On Error GoTo 0

and then run the code again.

Assuming that was the line where the error was occurring, you'll now get a msgbox telling you the ROW in the sheet and the CONTENTS of cell A in that row that it's falling over on (assuming that's the line of code that's the problem)

Upvote 0
In the code I posted this checks to see if there is a '=' in the cell,
Code:
      If InStr(.Range("A" & Res).Value, "=") Then
and if there is it extracts the name after the '='.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back