Adding rows to a linked worksheet. Remote Data rows not moving.

Chrisdude

Hi all.
This may not even be possible. However here is the question.
I have a two files on a network share. Call them "Linked Data" and "Local Data".
The "Local Data" has Linked rows from "Linked Data" and one column that data is entered.

If I add rows into to the source file "Linked Data" it does not add rows the one column with that data is entered, however adds rows to the linked data columns so the entered data stays where it is.

Is there any way that if I add rows to the Linked Data file it will also add rows to the data already entered? See below for a clear example.

EXAMPLE 1
Linked Data1
Local Data1
Linked Data2Local Data2
Linked Data3Local Data3
Linked Data4Local Data4
Linked Data5Local Data5
Linked Data6Local Data6
RESULT 1
Linked Data1Local Data1
Local Data2
Local Data3
Linked Data2Local Data4
Linked Data3Local Data5
Linked Data4Local Data6
Linked Data5
Linked Data6

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi Chrisdude,

In your example you mention that when you add rows to the file called "Linked Data", these rows are not added to the file "Local Data". I'm don't completely understand your scenario.

If you have data in Linked Data cell A1, and you add a row above it, the data from cell A1, will now be in A2. If you have added this row in LinkedData, without having the file Local data open, then the file local data
still refers to cell A1, while your data is in A2 now. If you want to prevent this, and have your "Local Data" file link to cell A2 as well, you could add a row to File LinkedData, when both the file LinkedData and LocalData are opened. In that way Excel dynamically adjusts the reference when you add rows. This does not work when you have only one of the two files open.

If on the other hand you mean, that if a row is added in LinkedData (for example row 2), and you want LocalData also to really ADD row number two as well, as far as my knowledge goes, I don't think that's possible.

Hope this helped. Please let me know if you meant something else.

Regards,
Rick de Groot

Upvote 0
Hi Chrisdude,

If on the other hand you mean, that if a row is added in LinkedData (for example row 2), and you want LocalData also to really ADD row number two as well, as far as my knowledge goes, I don't think that's possible.

Rick de Groot

Hi Rick, that is exactly correct. So it's not possible? Well, thanks for letting me know. Back to the drawing board.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back