Excel data validation drill-down entries

dotsent

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi!

Trying to have users add new data to Excel by drill-down list, so using the Data Validation function for the first time. Sorry for a boatload of questions and while I have been getting some answers Googling around, they have mostly been from years ago, so perhaps Excel 2016 has some new tricks up its sleeve.

1. Excel drill-down is quite small in font and only contains 8 selections. Any luck in seeing the drill-down selection in bigger font or at least having more than 8 options visible at all times?

2. I'm mostly looking for the user to add something from the drill-down list, however would it be possible to have a field both open for drill-down selection or also could be manually overwritten (by default you would get an error for manual entries)?

3. Perhaps the most important - would it somehow be possible to SEARCH within the drill-down selection? It is common to search by just typing a letter (i.e. "y") which would automatically take you to the list of words starting with a "y", however this quite common usability feature does not appear to be available there. Is there some shortcut I'm missing that would do the same thing?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I'm afraid pretty much everything you want is not possible.

An alternative to look at is a vba listbox which could give you some of what you want

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back