Referencing a cell in the active worksheet as part of a hyperlink

Aseagz15

I want to create a macro that follows a hyperlink that references a cell in the active workbook such as the example below. Say cell A1 says "baskeball", this would search for basketball in google.

Private Sub Label1_Click()

ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:="https://www.google.com/search?q=A1", NewWindow:=True

Unload Me

End Sub

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Try this:
This is an auto sheet event script
Your Workbook must be Macro enabled
To install this code:
Right-click on the sheet tab
Select View Code from the pop-up context menu
Paste the code in the VBA edit window

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then
If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Or IsEmpty(Target) Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
On Error GoTo M
Dim ans As String
Dim anss As String
Dim Search As String
ans = "https://www."
Search = Target.Value
anss = "Google.com/search?q=" & Search
Link = ans & anss
ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:=Link, NewWindow:=True
Target.Value = ""
Application.EnableEvents = True
End If
Exit Sub
M:
Application.EnableEvents = True
MsgBox "Bad Link"
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi My Answer is This. This is a great macro! My new question is:

Is it possible to reference multiple cells in a macro? Say that B1 has a year in it, and C1 has a month in it?

Here is an example of what I have done with the formula code: https://fakeexamplesite.com/yearin="&YEAR($B$1)&"&monthin="&MONTH($C$1). Cell B1 has the year being looked up, and cell C1 has the month being looked up.

What I would like to do is look up different types of accounting forms on a website such as balance sheet, income statement, etc.
imgres

Each of these will have a unique month, year, and account number. I have seen a macro open a grey form that has buttons and each button searched something different on a website.

If I can't get a grey form I would just like to know how to do what your macro had me do, but I need the hyperlink to be able to reference 4-5 different cells each time I type something different in cell A1.

Hopefully this makes sense, I am new to VBA.

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
You lost me.
I'm not sure what your wanting.
Your original request was very simple.

Your still wanting to search Google for something. But I'm not sure what.

I would need more specific details. Or maybe someone else here at Mr. Excel will see this posting and be able to understand more clearly your request.

Upvote 0
Sorry this is difficult to explain, let me try again.

Searching google was just an example.

At work I have a URL that has multiple parts, and I am able to reference specific cells in each sheet in excel. Some parts of the URL are the month, year, account, and the specific report type I would like to access.

I have created a hyperlink that takes me to our company website and to a specific report. The following is what I have (I have substituted the website name).
=HYPERLINK("https://examplewebsite.com/example?cmd=new&unit=01&action=balsht&yearin="&YEAR($A$1)&"&monthin="&MONTH($B$1)&"&account="&$C$1,$C$1)

The balsht is for balance sheet, that is the specific report I am accessing with the hyperlink. Other reports are sumrev (summary of revenue), detail (journal detail), etc.

I would like to click Ctrl + Shift + S to open a macro that will reference cells in each sheet (my spreadsheet has about 20 different sheets but the year, month, and account are in the same cells on each sheet). I would like the macro to open a pop up menu with different buttons labeled "balsht", "sumrev", "detail", etc. When I click the cells I want chrome to open a new tab that will open these specific reports on our company website.

Does this make more sense? Sorry this is hard to explain, I am an accountant but I am trying to make our spreadsheets more user friendly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tish101

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back