VBA Web Query not working

32CARDS

Board Regular
I have not used a specific workbook for over 12 months, but it worked before.

I suspect the web page owner's security upgrades may have changed things, or the web browser I use on this specific computer is no longer compatible, I'm not sure.

The VBA URL references is
Code:
With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
        "URL;https://tattsbet.ubet.com/racing/" & Range("A1"), Destination:=Range("$A$3"))

Range A1 refers to the date which constantly changes....

The Runtime error is 1004
at
Code:
.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False

--------------

Excel version is 2010
File version of IE is;
8.00.6001.18702 (longhorn_ie8_rtm(wmbla).090308-0339)

OS Platform
Windows XP Pro
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

--------------------

I *know* what the obvious answer is and am very well aware this is the reason my old PC not compatible
with the current secure web page, making me think this is the root cause of error 1004 ?

I just need confirmation this is so.

If this is the problem, ( and it is ), then will a windows 10 upgrade help resume the web query using the VBA method relative to the above URL ?

Will Windows 7 OS work

Finally, will my Excel 2010 work with OS and PC upgrades.
--------------------------------------

For the recored, the entire web query code in case anyone needs to test for my answers is:
Day and date format for A1
2018/03/03/raceday

<tbody>
</tbody>
Code:
'READY TO GO.>>

'https://tattsbet.ubet.com/racing
delete_Connections
With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
        "URL;https://tattsbet.ubet.com/racing/" & Range("A1"), Destination:=Range("$A$3"))

'            With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
'        "URL;http://tatts.com/racing/" & Range("A1"), Destination:=Range("$A$3"))
        .Name = "RaceDay"
        .Destination = Sheets("RACELIST").Range("A3")
        .Name = "raceday_2"
        .FieldNames = True
        .RowNumbers = False
        .FillAdjacentFormulas = False
        .PreserveFormatting = True
        .RefreshOnFileOpen = False
        .BackgroundQuery = True
        .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
        .SavePassword = False
'        .SaveData = True
        .SaveData = False
        .AdjustColumnWidth = True
        .RefreshPeriod = 0
        .WebSelectionType = xlSpecifiedTables
        .WebFormatting = xlWebFormattingNone
        .WebTables = "4,5,6,7,8,9,10"
        .WebPreFormattedTextToColumns = True
        .WebConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne = True
        .WebSingleBlockTextImport = False
        .WebDisableDateRecognition = False
        .WebDisableRedirections = False
        .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
    End With
'''''''''''''''''''>>
'PREPERATIONS TO CONVERT LIST

Thanks in Advance

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Thanks mole9999,

I have no latest PC's at the moment, all are still XP because I simply don't have a real need to do anything else except web quieries and some number crunching for statistical reasons.

The tables are the required tables, no more no less. If one is missing then part of the required info is missing.

The other thing that might be causing problems, that web page's webmaster used to support VBA coding for it's clients.
They mentioned progressive upgrade to JASON, and I assume Excel VBA and JASON don't exactly "talk" to each other.

I'm hoping someone with this experience of both JASON and VBA could check out what the the new web page is made out of
By saying that, perhaps even if I did do all the upgrades, ( PC, win 10 OS and later version of Excel ), I may still have the same problem... 1004 error.

Upvote 0
1004 is something is not found / missing

Upvote 0
After some testing with other software, it's been confirmed it's a TLS 1.2 issue.
Even if I "force upgrade" the XP, ti still won't work because IE 8 has it's limitations and won't "talk" with TLS 1.2.

This screws the whole works, the entire workstation.
Suerly the the propriety "entities" could fix it, but no....GOTO YOUR MONEY, GIVE US YOUR MONEY AND WE GIVE WIN 10, WHICH WILL SUCK MORE MONEY BECAUSE IT USES LOTS AND LOTS OF BYTES, EVEN WHEN IT IS SITTING IDLING MASTURBATING WITH CORTANA !

Upvote 0
maybe code for a different browser, because I don't think IE8 does upgrade, but you might run a firefox connection for your requirements

Upvote 0
maybe code for a different browser, because I don't think IE8 does upgrade, but you might run a firefox connection for your requirements

Firefox won't work at all,
the only browser that can access that site is OPERA, but does Excel 2010 (student version) utilise OPERA in settings ?

COMODO DRAGON was my default browser once upon a time, now that won't install...

I got a linux PC, given up with that cos to make Excel VBA work you need WINE, ( support sux if you are not a programmer).

I'm sure there are thousands of PC people that just want to have their PC running and not complicate things with trivial pesty TLS protocol upgrades, when MS *knew* and *knows* this is a deliberately manufactured glitch. They could have fixed it before abandoning XP support....It has become so obvious....all in all it simply defers progress when they put a spanner in the works. sorry, my rant but this is such a pesty situation. It really is.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back