Golf Handicaps

Richard2542

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
I have a list of 100 names with associated golf scores/handicaps. I need to develop 5 Flights (A, B, C, D, E) into which players will be placed based on their score/handicap, e.g., players who score par to 10 over par (this is a variable) would be placed into Flight A; Players 11 to ? would be in Flight B, etc. Ideally, we would have 20 players or thereabout per group. In addition, the range of scores/handicap by player may change each week resulting in a shift of players within given flights. This will be used for tournament play where each group of 4 players will have 1 A Player, 1 B Player, etc. to even out the field.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Re: Golf Handicps

Code:
=IF(RANK($A1,$A$1:$A$100)/COUNTA($A$1:$A$100)<=0.2,"E",IF(RANK($A1,$A$1:$A$100)/COUNTA($A$1:$A$100)<=0.4,"D",IF(RANK($A1,$A$1:$A$100)/COUNTA($A$1:$A$100)<=0.6,"C",IF(RANK($A1,$A$1:$A$100)/COUNTA($A$1:$A$100)<=0.8,"B","A"))))

If we assume these 100 people are relative to each other, wouldn't we instead take the top 20% to be A, next 20% to be B, and so on and so forth?
Assuming your handicaps (from 0 being the best to 10 being the worst) were in column A, here is your formula.

Upvote 0

Neon,

That solved the same question I've always had about a formula for flights. I've been handling the problem manually. I also found your formula easy to modify to get groups of 4-3-2. Wonderful job. Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Kevin

Upvote 0

Your assumption is correct - brilliant...I will try your formula - thanks so much; I'll let you know

Upvote 0

Richard,

I had some fun with this formula, and combined it with some things I learned from Mr. Excel and Mike Girvin. I have shared it in my drop box in case you are interested. The sheet has a subset of my Ladies League Members that would typically show up on a Tuesday Night. I can't wait to use this for my leagues. I now need to come up with a creative way to handle the stragglers that don't fit the numbers. Shouldn't be difficult. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks again NeonRedSharpie !!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugfjsxrmjzmm8wt/Tournament Helper Flight Formulas.xlsx?dl=0

Kevin

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kevin...not sure if my reply made it through. Your solution looks really great - I will need to spend some time reviewing it - thank you so much. I'll let you know how i make out.

Upvote 0

Cheers Richard. All you do is enter names and handicaps and Neon’s concepts do all the heavy lifting!

Kevin

Upvote 0

You bet. I forgot to mention, you can change the names of the flights, and everything updates! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back