Index Match with 2 criteria and return latest date

kwangyeow

Hi,

I have a question with finding the latest date using Index & Match function with 2 criteria. In the list of table, there are repeated row of entry that matches this 2 criteria, but I needed the latest date.

Base on the my formula, it always give me old dates.
=IF(J5<>"",IF(ISNA(INDEX(Outgoing!A:A,MATCH(F5&E5,Outgoing!E:E&Outgoing!F:F,0))),"",(INDEX(Outgoing!A:A,MATCH(F5&E5,Outgoing!E:E&Outgoing!F:F,0)))),"")

From what I search online, most of the answer reply with Max function and I tried it, but it didn't work well for me.

Need some help on this.

Thank you so much !

Google drive link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v1i_n2fEDzF6WZmts-JT3Tg6B1GGRg3M/view?usp=sharing

Cheers,
Kwang Yeow

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
You cant do it like that, you cant MATCHF5&E5 against the entire columns E & F

Use this instead

=MAX(IF((F5=Outgoing!E$12:E$1175)*(E5=Outgoing!F$12:F$1175),A$12:A$1175))
Array formula, use Ctrl-Shift-Enter

Upvote 0
It didn't work out, return result as 1/0/1900. I am clueless that index match function can't return latest date. Is there any way to go around it and get the desired result ?

Upvote 0
It didn't work out,..
It will, or at least it might, if you abide also abide by the last line of Special_K99's post. The formula must be confirmed as described, not just with Enter.

(I also think the ranges in the suggested formula may be a typo. The ranges should go to row 1275)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
.. and if you would prefer a formula that does not require the array formula entry, you could try

=AGGREGATE(14,6,Outgoing!A$12:A$1275/((Outgoing!E$12:E$1275=F5)*(Outgoing!F$12:F$1275=E5)),1)

Upvote 0
It will, or at least it might, if you abide also abide by the last line of Special_K99's post. The formula must be confirmed as described, not just with Enter.

(I also think the ranges in the suggested formula may be a typo. The ranges should go to row 1275)

Oops, yes 1275, misread the row number as it wasnt at 100% magnification.

Upvote 0
Hi Special-K99,

I notice the range and was edited to 1275, abide with the array formula press CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER. But it still returned me 0-Jan-00.
Uploaded the edited excel with MAX formula, please review what went wrong. Thank you.
Google link : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kw1uqdckur6u3ZLXnO8og8Vl2Mi7NefP

Hi Peter_SSs,

Aggregate works great for my needed return result. As my outgoing tab is ever increasing entry, I have edited the formula to
=IFERROR(AGGREGATE(14,6,Outgoing!$A:$A/((Outgoing!$E:$E=F5)*(Outgoing!$F:$F=E5)),1),"")

Didn't know Aggregate formula can resolved my problem, I am not aware of this formula till today. Sorry for being noob..

Thank you so much !

Cheers

Upvote 0
This might be faster, assuming that the dates are in chronological order:

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,1/(Outgoing!$F$12:$F$1275=$E5)/(Outgoing!$E$12:$E$1275=$F5),Outgoing!$A$12:$A$1275),"")

I would suggest using dynamic named ranges instead of whole column references. This amounts to the following.

Define Lrow in the Name Manager as referring to:

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,Outgoing!$A:$A)

Define also the following:

Date >>

=Outgoing!$A$12:INDEX(Outgoing!$A:$A,Lrow)

Serial >>

=Outgoing!$F$12:INDEX(Outgoing!$F:$F,Lrow)

Model >>

=Outgoing!$E$12:INDEX(Outgoing!$E:$E,Lrow)

The look up formula now becomes:

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,1/(Serial=$E5)/(Model=$F5),Date),"")

Upvote 0
..abide with the array formula press CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER. But it still returned me 0-Jan-00.
In your first sample file, you apparently realised that the formula suggested by Special-K99 of

=MAX(IF((F5=Outgoing!E$12:E$1175)*(E5=Outgoing!F$12:F$1175),A$12:A$1175)) (Array-entered)

Needed to be changed to reference column A on the Outgoing sheet and you used
=MAX(IF((Outgoing!$E:$E=F5)*(Outgoing!$F:$F=E5),Outgoing!$A:$A)) (but you forgot to array-enter it with Ctrl+Shift+Enter

In your latest file, you have remembered to array-enter the formula (& restrict the row references) but have now forgotten that red reference to the Outgoing sheet for the column A range & that is why it is not working.
You have
{=MAX(IF((F5=Outgoing!E$12:E$1275)*(E5=Outgoing!F$12:F$1275),A$12:A$1275))}
You should have
{=MAX(IF((F5=Outgoing!E$12:E$1275)*(E5=Outgoing!F$12:F$1275),Outgoing!A$12:A$1275))}

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back