Excel Query: Calculation column using two columns?

natheplas

Board Regular
Hi,

I'm using excel 2016 query linked to a database.

I wanted to know if it's possible to get the query to have a calculation column based on two other columns in the query?

For example column 6 is 'QTY_ORDER' and column 7 is 'QTY_DELIVERED'. Is it possible to make column 8 'QTY_ORDER-QTY_DELIVERED'?

If so, how do I do this?

Thanks,

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Hi All, Can anyone help with the above please? I know once I return the data I can add a manual column to do this, but I wanted it in the query.

The issue Im having is I want to not include any 0 lines and if I leave the filter on, it then doesn't include newer numbers as there is a filter on.

So if I do the calculation column on the query I can say, 'not include 0'.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
In Get and Transform, yes. Add a custom column with a simple addition formula.

Are you using the Query to filter or are you filtering in the Query results table?

Upvote 0
Hi SpillerBD, thanks for coming back to me.

Where is the 'Get and Transform' within Microsoft Query?
search
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...UICygC&biw=1920&bih=989#imgrc=_8dJrqu_q6i3fM:

How do you add the custom formula? Sorry I know it must be obvious, but I cant work it out from the screen ive sent across.

Im using the filter within the queried results. Can you filter within the screen above as well?

Thanks for this.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
just add the field in the query's SQL

so if you have
SELECT field_1, field_2, and_another
FROM table

then to add a new field
SELECT field_1, field_2, and_another, QTY_ORDER - QTY_DELIVERED AS [Name of new field]
FROM table

if there are any functions like MAX, MIN, SUM, AVG, etc and you have a GROUP BY clause, also add the new field there

And if you want to exclude zero values, have a clause something like
WHERE
QTY_ORDER - QTY_DELIVERED <> 0

Upvote 0
Hi Fazza,

Thank you so much for coming back to me! I'm not familiar with using SQL. I've got the following code below:

How do I use the below to add another column with WHERE QTY_ORDER - QTY_DELIVERED <> 0?

As in how and where do I put that on the sql statement?

Thank you so much!

SELECT SALES_ORDER.ORDER_NUMBER AS 'Sales Order Number', SALES_ORDER.DESPATCH_DATE AS 'Due Date', SALES_ORDER.ACCOUNT_REF AS 'Account Ref', SALES_ORDER.NAME AS 'Account Name', SOP_ITEM.STOCK_CODE AS 'Stock Code', SOP_ITEM.DESCRIPTION AS 'Stock Code Description', SOP_ITEM.QTY_ORDER AS 'Qty On Order', SOP_ITEM.QTY_DELIVERED AS 'Qty Delivered', SALES_ORDER.ALLOCATED_STATUS AS 'Cancellation Status', SALES_ORDER.DESPATCH_STATUS AS 'Despatch Status'
FROM SALES_ORDER SALES_ORDER, SOP_ITEM SOP_ITEM
WHERE SOP_ITEM.ORDER_NUMBER = SALES_ORDER.ORDER_NUMBER AND ((SALES_ORDER.DESPATCH_DATE<?) AND (SALES_ORDER.DESPATCH_STATUS<>?) AND (SALES_ORDER.ALLOCATED_STATUS<>?) AND (SALES_ORDER.ANALYSIS_1<>?))

Upvote 0
add it to the end of the current WHERE clause - the last line

it is now
WHERE SOP_ITEM.ORDER_NUMBER = SALES_ORDER.ORDER_NUMBER AND ((SALES_ORDER.DESPATCH_DATE?) AND (SALES_ORDER.ALLOCATED_STATUS<>?) AND (SALES_ORDER.ANALYSIS_1<>?))

make it
WHERE SOP_ITEM.ORDER_NUMBER = SALES_ORDER.ORDER_NUMBER AND ((SALES_ORDER.DESPATCH_DATE?) AND (SALES_ORDER.ALLOCATED_STATUS<>?) AND (SALES_ORDER.ANALYSIS_1<>?)) AND QTY_ORDER - QTY_DELIVERED <> 0

Upvote 0
I was in a big rush when I posted & didn't read the SQL. Just dumbly appended the expected text to what you'd posted. In fact, it also needs to reference the table.

So the WHERE clause should not be what I posted earlier, rather it should be as below - now with the table name added to explicitly get the reference correct. The SQL is just text - simply edit it to change it.

WHERE SOP_ITEM.ORDER_NUMBER = SALES_ORDER.ORDER_NUMBER AND ((SALES_ORDER.DESPATCH_DATE?) AND (SALES_ORDER.ALLOCATED_STATUS<>?) AND (SALES_ORDER.ANALYSIS_1<>?)) AND SOP_ITEM.QTY_ORDER - SOP_ITEM.QTY_DELIVERED <> 0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back