Using Dropdown Box Outputs

LastTrain

So, I'm attempting to combine the results of 2 dropdown box selections (and an additional number) to create a new formula which will retrieve information from other tabs of the workbook.

In the first dropdown box, I choose the first option which gives an output of 1. I then have a lookup formula to convert this to a tab name plus the exclamation point (in this example the result of the lookup formula is "SC!". I do this in cell B4.

In the second dropdown box, I choose the first option which of course also gives an output of 1. I have another lookup formula to convert this to a column in the tab, in this case the result of the lookup formula is "E." I do this in cell F4.

I then want to add a standard row number, in this case 4.

In a random cell, I've then used concatenate to combine those three items into SC!E4.

My question is, how do I then convince Excel to read that as an actual formula? In this random cell, if I simply typed "=SC!E4", I'd get the results of cell E4 on tab SC. However, my current formula of =concatenate(B4,F4,4) simply gives the text output of SC!E4 (the cell is formatted as General).

I get this and am not suggesting Excel is messing it up, I'd just like to know how to get the result I want. Is there a way to now get Excel to act on this result as if it was a formula?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back