random number generation with probability with given total number amount of numbers

spbailey

Im not sure if anyone will be able to help with this. But I have this table

Project TypeLabeledFrequency
Minor130%
Small235%
Medium320%
Large410%
Major55%

<colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I need to fill the columns listed project label with the numbers 1-5, but only up to the total projects. The first two rows I put numbers in to show what I mean. The number don't have to add up to the total, just the actual number of numbers does.. I hope this isn't too confusing. This is for a simulation project, and I have to do like 2000 replications. I have all the totals, just need the population of the project label columns. Been staring at this for like 5 hours today and can't figure it out. Please help me.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
realized i didn't add the second chart

Total Number of ProjectsProject Label 1Project Label 2Project Label 3Project Label 4Project Label 5Project Label 6Project Label 7Project Label 8Project Label 9

<colgroup><col width="64" span="10" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Can you try rephrasing what you're looking for? I think I know what you need but your wording is very confusing.

Upvote 0
Can you try rephrasing what you're looking for? I think I know what you need but your wording is very confusing.

Yeah I know, Im sorry just hard to explain. In the second table I need to fill the project label columns with numbers similar to the ones I put in there manually. But they have to be randomly selected using the other table. The other table has the numbers 1-5 which are the numbers I need to pull from, and the frequency/probability of those numbers. The total number of porjects is just adding the number of number, like 5 4 1 = 3 and 1 2 5 3 1 = 5. I need the rest of the rows filled out with the random 1-5 numbers with weighted frequency, but to not have more numbers show up than the total.

P.S. I feel like that probably isn't going to help. lol

Upvote 0
Maybe something like this

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
Project Type​
Labeled​
Frequency​
Helper​
Minor​
1​
30%​
1​
Small​
2​
35%​
31​
Medium​
3​
20%​
66​
Large​
4​
10%​
86​
Major​
5​
5%​
96​
Total Number of Projects​
Project Label 1​
Project Label 2​
Project Label 3​
Project Label 4​
Project Label 5​
Project Label 6​
Project Label 7​
Project Label 8​
Project Label 9​
3​
3​
1​
2​
5​
2​
2​
3​
1​
1​
7​
5​
2​
1​
3​
2​
3​
3​
2​
4​
4​
5​
2​
1​
2​
1​
1​
4​
1​
3​
4​
4​
0​
7​
5​
5​
2​
1​
1​
2​
1​
3​
2​
1​
3​
3​
1​
2​
2​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Formula in D2 copied down
=100*SUM(C$1:C1)+1

Formula in B10 copied across and down
=IF($A10>=COLUMNS($B10:B10),LOOKUP(RANDBETWEEN(1,100),$D$2:$D$6,$B$2:$B$6),"")

Hope this helps

M.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the response, I'm wondering if what I did would get me the same result, but ended up doing more work. It seems to be working, and I'm getting answers that look correct.

=IF($H5<1,"-",IF($H5>=1,LOOKUP(INT(RAND()*100),{0,30,65,85,95},{1,2,3,4,5}),"-"))

in each column going across the part that I changed to orange in the cell about, adds 1, (=1,=2...=9) so it leaves the cell blank once the project label number exceeds that total number of projects.

Looking at what you did, it seems like its doing the same thing, I just did it a harder way.

Upvote 0
Your LOOKUP seems OK to me.
Didn't understand the H5<1 and H5>=1 parts.,but if the formula is generating the results you want / need everything is right!

M.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the response, I'm wondering if what I did would get me the same result, but ended up doing more work. It seems to be working, and I'm getting answers that look correct.

=IF($H5<1,"-",IF($H5>=1,LOOKUP(INT(RAND()*100),{0,30,65,85,95},{1,2,3,4,5}),"-"))

About the LOOKUP part of your formula
INT(RAND()*100) generates number from 0 to 100, that is 101 possible numbers.

I think it should be
LOOKUP(INT(RAND()*99),{0,30,65,85,95},{1,2,3,4,5})

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back