VBA Leap Year/Non-Leap Year Calculation

johnston

I'm making a table with all the dates in a month. The user picks month and year. I have just the code listed below that calculates leap year for February and all other months of any year. The problem is that it does not calculate February during a non-leap year. The Application-defined or object-defined error message comes up during the autofill part of my code. I bolded the code that triggers the error message. Anything helps!

If monthNum=11 Or monthNum=4 Or monthNum=9 Or monthNum= 6 Then
numDays=30

ElseIf monthNum=2 Then
If year Mod 4 =0 Then
If year Mod 100= 0 Then
If year Mod 400= Then
numDays= 28
Else
numDays =29
End If

numDays=28
Else
numDays=29
End If
End If
Else
numDays=31
End If

Range("A6")=DateSerial(year, monthNum, 1)
Range("A6").Autofill Destination:=Range("A6").Resize(numDays, 1), Type:=xlFillDefault

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
You can replace all of your code with the following:

Code:
numDays = Day(WorksheetFunction.EoMonth(DateValue("01-" & monthNum & "-" & Year), 0))

Upvote 0
Just realised you're writing this to a range of cells, so rather than VBA, just use:
=DAY(EOMONTH("01-"&monthNum&"-"&Year),0)

Upvote 0
So your saying to replace the "=Range("A6").Resize(numDays, 1), Type:=xlFillDefault
" with the code you listed?

Upvote 0
Just realised you're writing this to a range of cells, so rather than VBA, just use:
=DAY(EOMONTH("01-"&monthNum&"-"&Year),0)
I am not 100% sure because I cannot test it, but I suspect that formula could give different answers depending on if the user's locale setting is m/d/y or d/m/y. I think you can solve this by changing your "01" (day number) to 13 or more.

This should also work no matter what...

=DAY(DATE(Year, monthNum+1,0))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, replace all of your code with this:

Code:
Sub test()
Dim monthNum As Long
Dim numDays As Long
Dim Year As Long

numDays = Day(WorksheetFunction.EoMonth(DateValue("01-" & monthNum & "-" & Year), 0))

Range(Cells(6, 1), Cells(numDays + 6, 1)) = DateSerial(Year, monthNum, 1)

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you, this will give me the correct leap year and non-leap year dates, but it adds three dates from the next month to the next three rows under.
Example:
2/1/2020...
2/29/2020
3/1/2020
3/2/2020

Upvote 0
It makes numDays =31. This make it add extra dates
No, replace all of your code with this:

Code:
Sub test()
Dim monthNum As Long
Dim numDays As Long
Dim Year As Long

Range(Cells(6, 1), Cells(numDays + 6, 1)) = DateSerial(Year, monthNum, 1)

End Sub

Upvote 0
I'm making a table with all the dates in a month. The user picks month and year. I have just the code listed below that calculates leap year for February and all other months of any year. The problem is that it does not calculate February during a non-leap year. The Application-defined or object-defined error message comes up during the autofill part of my code. I bolded the code that triggers the error message. Anything helps!

If monthNum=11 Or monthNum=4 Or monthNum=9 Or monthNum= 6 Then
numDays=30

ElseIf monthNum=2 Then
If year Mod 4 =0 Then
If year Mod 100= 0 Then
If year Mod 400= Then
numDays= 28
Else
numDays =29
End If

numDays=28
Else
numDays=29
End If
End If
Else
numDays=31
End If

Range("A6")=DateSerial(year, monthNum, 1)
Range("A6").Autofill Destination:=Range("A6").Resize(numDays, 1), Type:=xlFillDefault
First off, I do not like the name of your Year variable as Year is a built in VB function name, so I am using YearNum instead. With that said, once you have given values to your YearNum and MonthNum variables, these two lines of code will fill the range from cell A6 down to the last day of the month specified in MonthNum for YearNum...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]  NumDays = Day(DateSerial(YearNum, MonthNum + 1, 0))
  Range("A6").Resize(NumDays) = Evaluate("ROW(1:" & NumDays & ")")[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
First off, I do not like the name of your Year variable as Year is a built in VB function name, so I am using YearNum instead. With that said, once you have given values to your YearNum and MonthNum variables, these two lines of code will fill the range from cell A6 down to the last day of the month specified in MonthNum for YearNum...
Code:
[TABLE="width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]  NumDays = Day(DateSerial(YearNum, MonthNum + 1, 0))
  Range("A6").Resize(NumDays) = Evaluate("ROW(1:" & NumDays & ")")[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Thank you, this is getting me the correct number of days without extra dates, but when its formatted to Short Date it makes the monthNum and yearNum I entered a date like 1/1/1900 even though I entered monthNum as 2 and yearNum as 2018

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back