Import errors when importing mixed number and alpha ending with E2 or E3, etc

teachman

Hello,

I have a disturbing problem with the way Excel is importing data via pasting from IE. If the html table has a field has the entry: 826E2 Excel changes it to 8.26E+04. The format for the cell in Excel is General. But, even if I enter 826E2 into an worksheet cell formatted as General when I leave the cell the format is changed to Scientific. I definitely do not what this conversion, especially when I'm not asked if I want the change in format.

My problem is two fold. First, how can I make an import or direct enter a value like 826E2 to stay just as I enter it?

Second, when I enter 826E2 and Excel 'helps' me by converting it to 8.26E+4 (it displays 82600 in the formula bar) how can I change the format to what I want? I've been importing thousands of records over the last couple of days and just discovered the 'Excel help'.

Thanks,

George Teachman

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
If you can copy the IE data to a text file first, and then import that text file into Excel, you can specify that field should be Text, and then it won't convert it to a number in Scientific notation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back