Formula to extract month and day and convert to month abbreviation and week number

wmichael

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hello.

Seeking a formula to extract details from the CURRENT DATE START (E) cell to populate in the MONTH (A) cell and the WEEK (B) cell instead of me manually entering the month and week- appreciate your help in advance. Thank you.

--- Michael

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
ABCDEFGH
MONTHWEEKPAST DATE STARTPAST DATE ENDCURRENT DATE STARTCURRENT DATE ENDFUTURE DATE STARTFUTURE DATE END
Oct4Sun, Oct 1, 2017Mon, Oct 30, 2017
Oct4Sun, Oct 1, 2017Mon, Oct 30, 2017
Jan4Sun, Jan 1, 2017Tue, Jan 30, 2018
Jan4Sun, Jan 1, 2017Tue, Jan 30, 2018
Sep1Fri, Sep 1, 2017Sun, Sep 30, 2018
Jul2Sun, Jul 1, 2018

<tbody>
</tbody>

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>

Re: Seeking formula to extract month and day and convert to month abbreviation and week number

Works perfect thank you!

I am still seeking a solution to column A on how to display the abbreviation for the month- if you have any suggestions.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Re: Seeking formula to extract month and day and convert to month abbreviation and week number

Maybe this:

=MIN(CEILING(DAY(E2),7)/7,4)

Markmzz

Upvote 0

Maybe this:

Markmzz

Thank you, while I could not make this formula work- Just now, I was able to get =E2 to work by changing the formatting.

Thank you all for your help today!!

Upvote 0

Thank you, while I could not make this formula work- Just now, I was able to get =E2 to work by changing the formatting.

Thank you all for your help today!!

Hi!

Here is the result of my suggestion:

In A2 and copy down

=PROPER(TEXT(E2,"mmm"))

In B2 and copy down and to the right

ABCDEFGH
1MONTHWEEK StartWEEK EndPAST DATE ENDCURRENT DATE STARTCURRENT DATE ENDFUTURE DATE STARTFUTURE DATE END
2Out14dom 01/out/2017seg 30/out/2017
3Out14dom 01/out/2017seg 30/out/2017
4Jan14dom 01/jan/2017ter 30/jan/2018
5Jan14dom 01/jan/2017ter 30/jan/2018
6Set14sex 01/set/2017dom 30/set/2018
7Jul1dom 01/jul/2018
****************************************************************************************************************************

<tbody>
</tbody>

Markmzz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thank you- very helpful!

Upvote 0

Here is the result of my suggestion:

In A2 and copy down

=PROPER(TEXT(E2,"mmm"))
You can eliminate the PROPER function call as TEXT automatically returns the month name in proper casing...

=TEXT(E2,"mmm")

Upvote 0

You can eliminate the PROPER function call as TEXT automatically returns the month name in proper casing...

=TEXT(E2,"mmm")

Hi Rick!

Unfortunately, in my version of Excel is not possible. Look at this:

=TEXT(E2,"mmm")

ABC
1MONTHWEEK StartWEEK End
2out14
3out14
4jan14
5jan14
6set14
7jul1

<tbody>
</tbody>

Markmzz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hi Rick!

Unfortunately, in my version of Excel is not possible
Well, that is a new one on me. I would have thought Microsoft would have made the output from the TEXT function consistent through all versions of Excel and, as such, it would never occur to me that the month name outputted from the TEXT function would be anything other than proper case. Thanks for letting me (all of us) know that is not the case.

Upvote 0

Well, that is a new one on me. I would have thought Microsoft would have made the output from the TEXT function consistent through all versions of Excel and, as such, it would never occur to me that the month name outputted from the TEXT function would be anything other than proper case. Thanks for letting me (all of us) know that is not the case.

Here more examples with the TEXT function:

ABCD
1MONTHMONTHWEEK DAYWEEK DAY
2abrabrilquiquinta-feira
3maimaiosábsábado
4junjunhosegsegunda-feira
5juljulhoquaquarta-feira
6agoagostosexsexta-feira
7setsetembrodomdomingo

<tbody>
</tbody>

Markmzz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back