Countif problems not calculating correctly

Jayne Foot

Good afternoon all

I am having issues with a Count If formula

=COUNTIF('From April 2017'!F2:F801,"On call manager") This one works fine
=COUNTIF('From April 2017'!F1:F802,"OOA") This one and =COUNTIF('From April 2017'!F3:F803,"=YFS")gives a 0 count when they should be 10 and 1

There are no differences except the criteria and I have the same formula for 33 separate cells and all the others work fine. I have checked that all the cells with the formula have all the same settings but cannot for the life of me work out what is going wrong. I have been on the youtube help sections and they were no help as everything they suggested to check is all fine.

Can someone help - it is driving me mad

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I am having issues with a Count If formula

=COUNTIF('From April 2017'!F2:F801,"On call manager") This one works fine
=COUNTIF('From April 2017'!F1:F802,"OOA") This one and =COUNTIF('From April 2017'!F3:F803,"=YFS")gives a 0 count when they should be 10 and 1

There are no differences except the criteria and I have the same formula for 33 separate cells and all the others work fine. I have checked that all the cells with the formula have all the same settings but cannot for the life of me work out what is going wrong.
Is OOA and YFS the only text in the cells or could there be other text in the cells along with them? If the latter, then try this formula instead...

=COUNTIF('From April 2017'!F1:F802,"*OOA*")

Upvote 0
Also along with the above Where it says YFS in the column put formula = Len(Cell reference)...if more than 3 then you have leading or trailing spaces

Upvote 0
Also along with the above Where it says YFS in the column put formula = Len(Cell reference)...if more than 3 then you have leading or trailing spaces

I am sorry but I do not understand - am I putting =LEN(cell ref) in the formula in my original post or am I putting this in the cell where the original YFS is typed

I am by no means an expert on excel so need things explained child like. lol

Upvote 0
what I mean is in an empty cell type = Len( and then select the cell where it says yps)

Upvote 0
If Rick's formula:

=COUNTIF('From April 2017'!F1:F802,"*OOA*")

returns something other than 0, then there is more text in those cells, perhaps leading or trailing spaces.

Upvote 0
Yes... not sure I was expecting 1, maybe 4 or 5..... in the cell where it says YPS type YPS in the cell see if you get a different result in the formula

Upvote 0
OMG it worked - I was doing the formula in the wrong work sheet but I know what I have been doing - what an idiot - I have been putting a space at the end of YFS and OOA

Thanks so much for your assistance. Very much appreciated

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back