Copy value to empty cell

yamin

Dear All,

If A5 is empty and B5=5, I wrote IF statement like this (IF (A5="", B5,), but nothing happened and A5 still empty

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
yamin, Good evening.

A cell can have a number or a text or a formula.

You can not have in A5 a formula and ask for the content of A5 at same time.
It creates a circular reference.

If you have in A5 a formula =IF(B5="","",B5)

A5 will have the B5 content every time B5 is not empty.

Please, If it's not your case try to explain with a little more details.

I hope it helps.

Upvote 0
Dear Marcilio,

The point is if the cell is empty then I need to copy value from another cell to the empty cell, how can I do it.

yamin, Good evening.

A cell can have a number or a text or a formula.

You can not have in A5 a formula and ask for the content of A5 at same time.
It creates a circular reference.

If you have in A5 a formula =IF(B5="","",B5)

A5 will have the B5 content every time B5 is not empty.

Please, If it's not your case try to explain with a little more details.

I hope it helps.

Upvote 0
yamin,

Well, this is an advanced part of Excel.

This exact task can be done using VBA Excel programming.

Unfortunately, about this subject I can't help you.

I believe that users will arrive to help you.

Upvote 0
Hi yamin,

Perhaps I am not understanding your request but it sounds like all you want is the value of B5 to show up in A5, but be blank if there is no value in A5. All you need to do this is place "=B5" in A5 and set your excel workbook settings to "do not show zero values"....

Upvote 0
Hi yamin,

Perhaps I am not understanding your request but it sounds like all you want is the value of B5 to show up in A5, but be blank if there is no value in A5. All you need to do this is place "=B5" in A5 and set your excel workbook settings to "do not show zero values"....

Do you mean like this (IF(A5="","=B5",)), i tried it i got TEXT not value in A5.

Upvote 0
No, is my understanding of what you want icorrect? If it is then do exactly what I outlined above.... you just need to hyperlink the value from one cell to another and tell excel that you don’t want to see zeros.....

I am assuming that you are entering this in the formula bar and that you do not have the cell formatted for something like text. It should be formatted for general, You are clicking A5, but entering your string in the formula bar correct?

Upvote 0
No, is my understanding of what you want icorrect? If it is then do exactly what I outlined above.... you just need to hyperlink the value from one cell to another and tell excel that you don’t want to see zeros.....

I am assuming that you are entering this in the formula bar and that you do not have the cell formatted for something like text. It should be formatted for general, You are clicking A5, but entering your string in the formula bar correct?

The cell is formatted as general, then I've entered the formula in the cell itself but still nothing happened, this is the formula =IF(C2="",B2,)

Upvote 0
Your formula is wrong, you’re not using the right syntax. But that being said I have asked you a specific question twice that you have yet to answer. So until you do there is no way I could possibly tell you exactly what is wrong....

Upvote 0
Your formula is wrong, you’re not using the right syntax. But that being said I have asked you a specific question twice that you have yet to answer. So until you do there is no way I could possibly tell you exactly what is wrong....

I've done the following
1) Changing cell format to General
2) Don't show zero value (Enabled)
3) I'm interring formula in the cell itself

What else I need to do

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmjmjmjmjmjm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back