Excel 2016 conditional formatting

JamesMac

Hi,

I am having an issue using conditional formatting in Excel 2016.

I have a workbook that contains 2 worksheets. One sheet is called “Source data”, the other is called “Daily Report”, which is a report based on the “Source data”.

On the “Daily Report” worksheet, I want to grey out a set of cells based on data from the “Source Data” worksheet.

I wrote a conditional formatting function, located in the “Daily Report” worksheet, to make this happen:

=SUMIFS('Source Data'!$BN$2:$BN$50,'Source Data'!$AL$2:$AL$50,KF49)=0

This function looks for matches between cell KF49 of the “Daily Report” worksheet, and any cells in the array AL2:AL50 of the “Source data” worksheet and uses those matches to sum up corresponding cells in the array BN2:BN50 of the “Source Data worksheet.

If the sum is “0”, I want cells $KL$49:$LA$49 to be greyed out

When I apply this rule as a conditional format, all the cells in the array $KL$49:$LA$49 turn grey except for 2, KO49 and KQ49. I have removed all formatting from the worksheet except this single rule. This is really strange!

After much double and triple checking, I wondered if it had something to do with referencing between 2 worksheets. (I was desperate.) So, I created a column of cells in column KE of the “Daily report” worksheet with the same formula that I used in the conditional formatting rule.

=SUMIFS('Source Data'!$BN$2:$BN$50,'Source Data'!$AL$2:$AL$50,KF49)

I then created a conditional formula that simply looked for “0” in this set of cells and applied the same formatting to the same set of cells as above.

=$KE49=0
Applies to =$KL$49:$LA$49

It worked!

Why won’t it work for certain cells when it’s a conditional formatting rule, yet it works fine when it’s not part of the conditional formatting rules?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

There could possibly be issues about just how you applied the Conditional Formatting, but one thing I think you will need is to change your CF formula to

=SUMIFS('Source Data'!$BN$2:$BN$50,'Source Data'!$AL$2:$AL$50,$KF49)=0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back