Solve for Min Sum and Full Scope

NZilger

Hello,

I'm working on building an analysis tool and have hit a bit of a roadblock. I have a data set for a list of vendors in rows and type of scope across the columns. I also have a "Preliminary" vendor in the uppermost row of values which represents a budget. Both the count of vendors and scope are dynamic.

What I'd like to accomplish is to automatically find the lowest sum for full scope coverage. Scope cannot be split or doubled between vendors. If needed to complete scope then the budget number may be used, but that should be last resort. If a vendor is marked as Excluded then they should be omitted, if required then of course they should be required.

I've looked into the Solver Add-in and I'm stumped. I have some experience with VBA though this particular solution eludes me. If VBA I'm thinking a brute force method to iterate through all possible solutions would be necessary. (?)

What I'm in need of is some guidance. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Here's an example of the table. Please forgive me if the formatting is odd, the preview looks good. The last test post I attempted failed so I was unable to confirm.

Excel 2007 32 bit
BB_DIVISION 01​
012100 Allowances013000 Administrative Requirements013000 Administrative Requirements015000 Temporary Facilities & Controls015000 Temporary Facilities & Controls015000 Temporary Facilities & Controls
Exclude/RequireVendors NameOtherLaborSubLaborMaterialSub
PreliminaryBid Total
9000​
115​
1757​
4055​
4908​
1748​
Test1
4000​
xxx
Test2
3999​
xxx
Test3
5000​
xxx
Test4
1​
x
Answer 1
14711​
Answer 2
10656​
Answer 3
9171​
Answer 4
19656​

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet: BB_DIVISION 01

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back