Run-time error 91 - object variable or with block variable not set

bicke

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a run-time error 91 on a macro in my workbook. Essentially this macro looks through active worksheets to find any issues (special formatted cells in active worksheets) and returns the comments in these formatted cells in a 'issue worksheet' (I hope that makes sense!).

Anyway, i get a 'run-time error 91 - object variable or with block variable not set' issue on the following code line:

Code:
iLastRow = Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=[A1], SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

It looks like this VBA line is searching for something that doesn't exist (e.g. a previous worksheet which has been deleted) but I've tried to troubleshoot every possible reason/solution and can't remove this error.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers,
Bicke.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Re: Run-time error 91 - object variable or with block variable not set - troubleshooting help!

Hi bicke,

There's no data on the active tab to set the variable. Have a look at the following where the code first checks if there's any data on the active tab before trying to set the iLastRow variable:

Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro2()

Dim iLastRow As Long

'If there's some data on the current tab, then...
    If WorksheetFunction.CountA(Cells) > 0 Then
        '...set the 'iLastRow' varaible
        iLastRow = Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=[A1], SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    End If

End Sub

HTH

Robert

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re: Run-time error 91 - object variable or with block variable not set - troubleshooting help!

Hi Robert,

You are a legend! Thanks so much for your help. Yes, I found the error so it all works now. I can't thank you enough and I owe you a beer if you ever visit Perth!

Thanks again.
Cheers,
Bicke.

Upvote 0

NP - glad we got it sorted. I haven't been to Perth for years but if I do it's a date (so to speak) :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back