How to Fix Run-time error 9

johnston

I am trying to make a macro that creates a worksheet for each month of a year, with the user typing in the year. When I run the macro, I keep getting Run-time error 9 on this line of code about adjusting the column width:

Worksheets(MonthName(monthNum, True)).Range("A5:K5").ColumnWidth=15

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Well, the error is about the worksheet not existing. Can you post the rest of the code? Where you create the worksheet most importantly.

Upvote 0
Well, the error is about the worksheet not existing. Can you post the rest of the code? Where you create the worksheet most importantly.

It's a lot of lines. How do post all of it because when I try to paste it, nothing happens.

Upvote 0
What value are you assigning to the monthNum variable? If for example it's 1 you must have a tab in the workbook exactly called Jan

Upvote 0
What value are you assigning to the monthNum variable? If for example it's 1 you must have a tab in the workbook exactly called Jan

I'm using a For Loop. This will go through all 12 months. So I have:
For monthNum = 1 to 12

code

Next monthNum

Upvote 0
Which number is it getting stuck on?

On a separate note individual tabs that are identical in layout are rarely needed (just my humble opinion).

Upvote 0
Hi Johnston

So therefore, if you are looping from numbers 1 to 12 and using that integer in your line of code, you must have worksheets called:

For example, if you place in the Immediate Window, or run it in a normal module, the following line:

Code:
Sheets("1").Activate

does a worksheet called "1" get activated, or does a run time error occur?

If it is the latter, you don't have a worksheet called "1".

Consequently, adapt your line of code to test, as a single line of code, in something like the following way:

Code:
Worksheets("[name of the worksheet you want to have the following range to have column width 15]").Range("A5:K5").ColumnWidth=15

Then once you know this works, then adapt your original line of code to match the name of the worksheet in your loop, or change the name of the worksheet to match "monthNum" in your code.

BTW, I'm not sure, if "monthNum" is an integer, why you have the Boolean "TRUE". Unless I'm missing something, this does not appear required, and is also probably interfering with the running of the line.

Cheers

pvr928

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back