Filter one sheet and see effects of filter in charts on 2nd sheet.

wootcat

This may be too complicated to describe or understand a solution, but I'll try...

I've got one sheet (tab) of data. I used data on that tab to create pivot tables and generate pie and bar charts on another tab in the same spreadsheet. From what I can tell, there isn't a maintained connection between these charts and the original data. I can change something on the data tab, and the charts on the other tab don't update to reflect the change.

I was wanting to set things up so that I'd have all these charts, and if I filter data on the first tab, the pie and bar charts would update.

For instance, I'm tracking age, gender, and device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, PC, etc.) usage. I have a nice pie chart showing me this device usage for all my participants. Now, I want to see how that device usage changes if I just look at Gen X users, or Baby boomers. So, I'd like to be able to filter out some of my age ranges, and see how those charts change. If I make a change to the filter or put things back the way they were, the charts would go back to the way they looked before.

How would I go about doing this? Is there a way of setting up charts so they are "live" and still connected to the data they represent?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
it sounds like what you are after is using slicers to augment the data to filter out what you are after.
look up "dashboards" to get an idea. hope this helps. slicers work best when all the data is from the same source (ie table or array)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maplemeadows

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back