Count varied number string in a cell

RogerSpoon169

I would like to count the number of times a number string (numbers in bold in Column A) occur in a cell (# in Column B) throughout my file of XXX # of rows.

The number string varies in length but the format is always constant (i.e. #.##.##.#).

Thanks, in advance, to all for your help!
Column AColumn B

Jan 13th, 2016 - inspection was completed for the project work and the following deficiencies were found;
5.80 Old blocks left on site need to be removed. Garbage and bolts laying on site to be removed.
6.5.1.2 No labels for the fiber in the base of the DCI.
6.62 Nut/bolt required at each corner of cable tray section (as per note 2.6 of WO). Some screws are also missing.
6.63 All cable tray openings to be secured with 1/4" galv. steel mesh
6.99 Fiber cable laying in bottom of cabinet is properly terminated.
8.0 "Sector 1 - Existing blocks on site are not solid as indicated on WO. New blocks are not as per WO. Confirm antenna heights are correct.
Sector 2 - Don?t have the proper number of blocks to match WO.
Sector 3 - LTE - Existing blocks on site are not solid as indicated on WO. New blocks are not as per WO. GSM/UMTS - Quantity of new blocks for mounts do not match WO. Antennas have not been raised as per WO. "
8.5.0.1 Rust has started to appear on some of the new steel installed.
8.99 Confirm SC6 audit was completed for the antenna changes.

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col></colgroup>

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(LEFT(A2:A12,1)+0),IF(ISNUMBER(LEFT(A2:A12,2)+0),1)))

Upvote 0
I neglected to mention that all that text under Column A is contained within a single cell. Sorry for leaving that important info out.

Should actually appear as:

Column A
Column B
Row 1
Jan 13th, 2016 - inspection was completed for the project work and the following deficiencies were found;
5.80 Old blocks left on site need to be removed. Garbage and bolts laying on site to be removed.
6.62 Nut/bolt required at each corner of cable tray section (as per note 2.6 of WO). Some screws are also missing.
8.0 "Sector 1 - Existing blocks on site are not solid as indicated on WO. New blocks are not as per WO. Confirm antenna heights are correct.
Sector 3 - LTE - Existing blocks on site are not solid as indicated on WO. New blocks are not as per WO. GSM/UMTS - Quantity of new blocks for mounts do not match WO. Antennas have not been raised as per WO. "

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I neglected to mention that all that text under Column A is contained within a single cell. Sorry for leaving that important info out.

Should actually appear as:

Column A
Column B
Row 1

<tbody>
</tbody>
Are the numbers you want to count bolded in the cell as shown or did you bold them just for you posting?

If you bolded them just for your posting, then what makes the number I highlighted different from the bolded number above it that you are not counting it?

Do all the numbers you want to could always appear at the beginning of a new line as shown in your posting?

Upvote 0
Rick,

I did make a mistake and forget to bold "8.0". It should be part of the count I want to achieve, as per the count I listed in Column B.

I put them in bold for this posting. All the text in the cell is unformatted.

Yes, all the numbers would appear at the start of any line as per my posting example.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Perhaps this UDF:
Code:
Function CountNumbers(r As String) As Long
Dim t, u, ct As Long
t = Split(r, Chr(10))
For Each u In t
    If IsNumeric(Left(u, 1)) Then ct = ct + 1
Next
CountNumbers = ct
End Function

Excel 2010
AB
1Jan 13th, 2016 - inspection was completed for the project work and the following deficiencies were found; 5.80 Old blocks left on site need to be removed. Garbage and bolts laying on site to be removed. 6.5.1.2 No labels for the fiber in the base of the DCI. 6.62 Nut/bolt required at each corner of cable tray section (as per note 2.6 of WO). Some screws are also missing. 6.63 All cable tray openings to be secured with 1/4" galv. steel mesh 6.99 Fiber cable laying in bottom of cabinet is properly terminated. 8.0 "Sector 1 - Existing blocks on site are not solid as indicated on WO. New blocks are not as per WO. Confirm antenna heights are correct. Sector 2 - Don?t have the proper number of blocks to match WO. Sector 3 - LTE - Existing blocks on site are not solid as indicated on WO. New blocks are not as per WO. GSM/UMTS - Quantity of new blocks for mounts do not match WO. Antennas have not been raised as per WO. " 8.5.0.1 Rust has started to appear on some of the new steel installed. 8.99 Confirm SC6 audit was completed for the antenna changes.8
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=countnumbers(A1)

Upvote 0
Counting all the numbers in a cell is straightforward, but you've said that the only numbers you want to count are the ones that appear at the beginning of a line. If all your example text is in cell A1 as a big blob of text, how are you defining "line" for purposes of this example?

Upvote 0
Perhaps this UDF:
Code:
Function CountNumbers(r As String) As Long
Dim t, u, ct As Long
t = Split(r, Chr(10))
For Each u In t
    If IsNumeric(Left(u, 1)) Then ct = ct + 1
Next
CountNumbers = ct
End Function
Just to compact your function up a little bit...
Code:
Function CountNumbers(S As String) As Long
  Dim V As Variant
  For Each V In Split(S, vbLf)
    CountNumbers = CountNumbers - IsNumeric(Left(V, 1))
  Next
End Function

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back