Solver Optimization Help

sondersa

Hi, I'm working on a project relating to times that cars leave for a hub route. The cars are carrying ordered products from one store to the other within the route. I have data with the current times the cars leave, 6 times per day, and I have data of what time were ordered by the individual stores. We are assuming that if a car is scheduled to leave at 9am and a product was ordered at 8:45am that product is going on the car that leaves at 9am. I want to use solver in order to figure out what is the best time the car should leave based on when my products are ordered. I want to minimize the "wait time" the difference between the order time and what time the car leaves. The parameters would be. There can only be 6 times the car runs per day, the earliest the first car can leave is at 7:15am, the latest the last car can leave is at 6:00pm. There needs to be at least 1.5 hours in between when each time the car leaves.

Is this something that I can do within Solver?

Right now the 6 times the car leaves per day at 7:15am, 9am, 10:30am, 12:00pm, 1:30pm and 2:45pm. We know that there are a lot of items ordered after 2:45pm that will not be moved until the next morning and we want to change the times the car leaves in order to help eliminate the need for items to be moved the next day.

Is there a way that we can give slover the data and be able to determine what are the best times for the car to leave in order to minimize the "wait time?" Right now we have the data sorted into groups on when it currently leaves and we can minimize the wait time within that group, but we aren't sure how to make solver look beyond the current groups and look at where the best time to run is.

Let me know any thoughts you have!

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back