Generate Formula on the fly

wally2u

I need to generate a formula on the fly based on thelast entry in the worksheet. I have the last row number thanks to a posting byPeter_SSs; =MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(A2:A3200="",0),0). I found in reading olderpost. Thanks Peter.
This last row number is in H1, the array of datais B2:Fnnn last row number in H1 value is 692 on this run. This number will changeeach time the data is accumulated. This data is exported from another system ina CSV file format which is brought into this worksheet.
The formula is =COUNTIF($B$2:$F$692,"="&$K1)in Column M.
My question: is there a way to use some functionto have the F$nnn to change as H1 is updated without having to do a FIND andREPLACE on column M each run.
Thanks
Walter

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Re: Generate Formular on the fly

You could try using a dynamic range. Go into Names manager, add a name (e.g. CSVData) and in the 'refers to' box put
Code:
=OFFSET([worksheet name]$B$2,0,0,COUNTA([worksheetname]!$B2:$B99999),5)
Use your mouse to click the B2 and B2:B9999 range to get the right syntax, remember that if you want to edit the formula manually you need to press F2 to stop the cursor keys selecting a cell.

Then your formula becomes
=COUNTIF(CSVData,"="&$K1)
(or whatever name you gave to the dynamic range)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Another way is to use Indirect

=COUNTIF(INDIRECT("$B$2:$F$"&$H$1),"="&$K1)

Indirect lets you turn text into a reference. Normally I would say use the method in the post above but this is easier and quicker if it's a spreadsheet only you use. Note it will throw an error if you don't have a positive number in H1

Upvote 0

Do you really need to keep changing the formula? Doesn't this return the correct results anyway?

=COUNTIF($B$2:$F$3200,"="&$K1)

Upvote 0

Thanks Johnny, I'm using the second option works perfect. I will be getting a new CSV file in about 2 hours, I'll try the first later to learn OFFSET. Thanks again.
Walter

Upvote 0

Hi Paul, it just may. I wanted to know the exact number of lines in the file for some of the other columns comparisons %'s and averages. I did not give all the details of the application. But the MATCH was what I needed to get that number. Thanks again
Walter

Upvote 0

Hi Paul, it just may.
I presume you meant Peter. :)

If you did want to do the COUNTIF over the exact range, here is a formula that avoids volatile functions like INDIRECT or OFFSET which can slow your sheet if used a lot. Note also that you don't need the "="& part of your formula.

=COUNTIF($B$2:INDEX($F:$F,$H$1),$K1)

Upvote 0

Sorry about the name, at 71 I'm doing good to remember mine :biggrin:. I will use that tip also, looks much cleaner. Thanks again
Walter

Upvote 0

Sorry about the name, at 71 I'm doing good to remember mine :biggrin:.
I know the feeling! - I'm actually not very far behind you. (My picture at left is not very recent ;))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back