ISERROR(INDEX(SMALL with 2 or more criteria

alainfranco

Hello,

For the life of me, I can't figure this one out...

I am trying to search and return all records matching 2 criteria. This formula works perfectly for 1 criterion, but I am unable to get it a second one in there...

Working Formula for 1 criterion:
Code:
=IF($A$1="","",(IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Data!$A$1:$E$11,SMALL(IF(Data!$A$1:$A$11=$A$1,ROW(Data!$A$1:$A$11)),ROW(1:1)),1)),"",INDEX(Data!$A$1:$E$11,SMALL(IF(Data!$A$1:$E$11=$A$1,ROW(Data!$A$1:$E$11)),ROW(1:1)),1))))

Formula I am struggling with:
Code:
=IF($G$1="","",(IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Data!$A$1:$E$11,SMALL(IF(AND(Data!$A$1:$A$11=$G$1,Data!$B$1:$B$11=$G$2),ROW(Data!$A$1:$A$11)),ROW(1:1)),1)),"",INDEX(Data!$A$1:$E$11,SMALL(IF(Data!$A$1:$E$11=$G$1,ROW(Data!$A$1:$E$11)),ROW(1:1)),1))))

Is this even the correct way to string additional criteria?

I have a file ready with the data and formulas. Is there anyway for me to attach it to this post? Otherwise, here are the tabs and their content:

Data table:
https://ibb.co/jNDSmc

Query with 1 criterion. Successfully returns all matching records:
https://ibb.co/dxCbex

Same query, but on line 2:
https://ibb.co/eqJDsH

Query with 2 criteria that I am struggling with:
https://ibb.co/dM7nmc

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

A.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Alternative Solution:

Paste the formula in G4 then drag all the way to required column and row.

=IF(ROWS(G$4:G4)>SUM(--(Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2)),"",INDEX(Data!A$2:A$11,SMALL(IF(Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2,ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1),ROWS(G$4:G4))))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't forget to press ctrl+shift+enter for it is an Array. :)

Alternative Solution:

=IF(ROWS(G$4:G4)>SUM(--(Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2)),"",INDEX(Data!A$2:A$11,SMALL(IF(Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2,ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1),ROWS(G$4:G4))))

Upvote 0
Alternative Solution:

That did it! :)

Thanks Marvin, I appreciate your help!

A.

Upvote 0
Haha, yes, thanks :)

Hey, would you be so kind as to explain it in high level details, so that I can adapt it for other parts of the spreadsheet?

I could really use that help! :)

Upvote 0
Glad to help.

First, compare the data it meets your criteria.
For you to compare the data, join an array of data with ampersand symbol “&” to your criteria also joined by ampersand symbol “&”.
i.e. Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2. This formula will spit out this result:
{FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;TRUE;TRUE;FALSE;FALSE} - this is the position of string/value that meets the criteria. If you are to count, the TRUEs are on 7th and 8th position.

Now enclose it in IF statement to convert the TRUE into number/position: =IF(Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2,ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1)

This expression “ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11) “ will return the rows from $A$2:$A$11 which are 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, but we need to start with 1 so subtract the first row i.e. ROW(Data!$A$2) which is equivalent to 2 then the result now will be 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, but this is not what we want so we will add 1 back. Complete syntax will be “ ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1 “. This expression will return the correct number starting from 1i.e. {1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10} – this will replace the TRUE with the correct position

From: {FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;TRUE;TRUE;FALSE;FALSE}
To: {FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;7;8;FALSE;FALSE}

Enclose the IF statement to SMALL function to extract the value(7;8), and FALSE will be converted to #NUM ! error. SYNTAX will be :
=SMALL(IF(Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2, ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1),ROWS(G$4:G4))

The expression “ ROWS(G$4:G4) ” will be the trigger for first small and second small. How mane rows are there (G$4:G4)? Answer is 1(first value), once you drag down, the first G$4 will be locked but the second G4 will move to G5 thus it will become (G$4:G5) which is now equivalent to 2(second value). And the resulting value will be 1st small – 7 , second small – 8.

Now enclose the whole SMALL to INDEX to extract the resulting value/string. Complete syntax:

=INDEX(Data!A$2:A$11, SMALL(IF(Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2, ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1),ROWS(G$4:G4)))

Index will now return the actual value/string based on the position that SMALL had spit out. i.e. First value in position 7 – “John” and so on.

Now enclose the whole INDEX to IFERROR(alternative solution) to return only the required information and remove the #NUM !.

=IFERROR(INDEX(Data!A$2:A$11,SMALL(IF(Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2,ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1),ROWS(G$4:G4))),"")

Drag all the way to required cells then ENJOY… ��

Haha, yes, thanks :)

Hey, would you be so kind as to explain it in high level details, so that I can adapt it for other parts of the spreadsheet?

I could really use that help! :)

Upvote 0
Glad to help.

For you to compare the data, join an array of data with ampersand symbol “&” to your criteria also joined by ampersand symbol “&”.
i.e. Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2. This formula will spit out this result:
{FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;TRUE;TRUE;FALSE;FALSE} - this is the position of string/value that meets the criteria. If you are to count, the TRUEs are on 7th and 8th position.

Now enclose it in IF statement to convert the TRUE into number/position: =IF(Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2,ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1)

This expression “ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11) “ will return the rows from $A$2:$A$11 which are 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, but we need to start with 1 so subtract the first row i.e. ROW(Data!$A$2) which is equivalent to 2 then the result now will be 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, but this is not what we want so we will add 1 back. Complete syntax will be “ ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1 “. This expression will return the correct number starting from 1i.e. {1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10} – this will replace the TRUE with the correct position

From: {FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;TRUE;TRUE;FALSE;FALSE}
To: {FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;7;8;FALSE;FALSE}

Enclose the IF statement to SMALL function to extract the value(7;8), and FALSE will be converted to #NUM ! error. SYNTAX will be :
=SMALL(IF(Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2, ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1),ROWS(G$4:G4))

The expression “ ROWS(G$4:G4) ” will be the trigger for first small and second small. How mane rows are there (G$4:G4)? Answer is 1(first value), once you drag down, the first G$4 will be locked but the second G4 will move to G5 thus it will become (G$4:G5) which is now equivalent to 2(second value). And the resulting value will be 1st small – 7 , second small – 8.

Now enclose the whole SMALL to INDEX to extract the resulting value/string. Complete syntax:

=INDEX(Data!A$2:A$11, SMALL(IF(Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2, ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1),ROWS(G$4:G4)))

Index will now return the actual value/string based on the position that SMALL had spit out. i.e. First value in position 7 – “John” and so on.

Now enclose the whole INDEX to IFERROR(alternative solution) to return only the required information and remove the #NUM !.

=IFERROR(INDEX(Data!A$2:A$11,SMALL(IF(Data!$A$2:$A$11&Data!$B$2:$B$11=$G$1&$G$2,ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$11)-ROW(Data!$A$2)+1),ROWS(G$4:G4))),"")

Drag all the way to required cells then ENJOY… ��

Many thanks Marvin! :)

Upvote 0
Glad to help.

T.....

Hi Marvin!

I've been playing around with your formula all day and it works great! Your explanations are spot on and made me learn new stuff! Thanks again! :D

In fact, it works so well that I have decide it to replace other similar formulas in my spreadsheet by yours. Im starting to wonder if I'll need to start paying you royalties every time I use the file! ;) :D

Do you think it would be possible to make the formula loop through a list, and if 2 other criteria match a row, than it executes your formula, skips a line, and move on to the next match,where it runs your formula again.

In your opinion, do you think I need to use a macro to do this? Or can it be done through a formula?

Thanks,

Alan
Montreal, Canada

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back