Sumifs formula for multi criteria in multiple column ranges

Jon3sy

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
=SUMIFS('Transaction Raw Data'!$J$3:$J$5009,'Transaction Raw Data'!$G$3:$G$5009,"XYZ",'Transaction Raw Data'!$G$3:$G$5009,"ABC",'Transaction Raw Data'!$H$3:$H$5009,"Operating Expense")

I want to sum column J if it meets the 3 criteria - 2 criteria from column G and one criteria from column H, But my formula is not returning a result
Appreciate your expertise.
Many thanks
Sharon

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Hi,

You can't have two different criterion for the same range in SUMIFS, it works like an AND function, so Column G can't be "XYZ" and "ABC" at the same time, you can SUM 2 SUMIFS or use SUMPRODUCT.
I don't have time to create the sheets, so adjust sheet name and ranges to your data:

Excel 2010
EFGHIJ
29XYZOP2
3OP3
4XYZ4
7ABCOP7
8OP8
9ABC9
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E1=SUM(SUMIFS(J1:J9,G1:G9,"XYZ",H1:H9,"OP"),SUMIFS(J1:J9,G1:G9,"ABC",H1:H9,"OP"))
E2=SUMPRODUCT((G1:G9={"XYZ","ABC"})*(H1:H9="OP")*J1:J9)

Upvote 0
Absolutely fantastic - thank you ever so much. Works perfectly when you know how and it highlighted that I needed to reference a different column as it included costs that didn't apply. :):biggrin: Woohoo!

Upvote 0
I just wondered how I would now turn this formula in to looking at different tabs for the multi criteria sum ifs eg: =SUMIFs(Jayne!$I$2:$I$5001,Jayne!$A$2:$A$5001,"Jayne",Jayne!$D$2:$D$5001,E5,SUMIF(Laurie!$I$2:$I$5001,Laurie!$A$2:$A$5001,"Laurie",Laurie!$D$2:$D$5001,E5) etc - I want to have the formula look at four different tabs for each different person if A2:A5001 = their name. Is that possible? Many thanks

Upvote 0
Are we talking about Total SUM of All four tabs for Jayne And Laurie?

Or are you looking for Separate results?

Upvote 0
Oh apologies - yes I would like a separate total just for that person when their name is in the selected field rather than a total of all four people the formula will reference. Thanks

Upvote 0
No problem at All, I was just a little confused between the description and your sample formula..

Looking at your sample formula...

Does Each person have their own tab (say Jayne for example)?
If so, is it still necessary to test Column A for their Name (Jayne) within the Tab Jayne?
Also, what's the criteria in E5?

We can have a formula that's tailored for Each Person, that would mean 4 different formulas for each person and tab...
Or, we can have 1 formula that you can copied down or across for the 4 different persons and tabs with volatile functions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes each person has their own tab with their timesheet hours/expenses - the other tab where the formulas are is an invoice template I am creating where they will select their name from a dropdown in cell B2 and then the formula can match their name in that field to their individual tab - so it may not need that extra validation criteria on their name but we will definitely have to tailor the formula for each person as this won't be a formula dragged down into other rows/columns. E5 will be a manual input that will reference an End Of Month date field in each tab so the invoice knows to only show values for that person for that month. Gosh I hope this makes sense. If you need me to post the spreadsheet I will try upload somehow. Thanks

Upvote 0
Ok, so I'm skipping the Test for Name in Column A since we're Only extracting from Each Person's individual tab.
But since your Lookup cell for the formula is a "drop down" list, that still means we need a single formula that will point to the correct tab when the selection changes in the drop down.

Assuming the drop down is in A1 (Change A1 to the cell reference of your drop down cell):

Book1
ABCDE
1Jayne1000
55/31/2018
Sheet64
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=SUMIFS(INDIRECT(A1&"!I2:I5001"),INDIRECT(A1&"!d2:d5001"),E5)

Book1
ABCDEFGHI
2Jayne5/31/20181000
3Jayne4/30/20185
Jayne

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealJoaquin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back