How Do I Show # of Days Before Today's Date?

bencar

Banned user
In one column in my sheet it says '=TODAY()-31' when I click in it. The date happens to be 31 days before today's date. How do I format a column of past dates like this so that when I click in the cell I see '=TODAY()-31' where the '-31' part shows the amount of days before today's date?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
In one column in my sheet it says '=TODAY()-31' when I click in it. The date happens to be 31 days before today's date. How do I format a column of past dates like this so that when I click in the cell I see '=TODAY()-31' where the '-31' part shows the amount of days before today's date?

So you want to show number of days between past dates and today's date?

Upvote 0

=DAYS(TODAY(),A1)

A1 is your past dates column

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Strange Formatting When Clicking a Cell

Heres my excel file. Please look at teh Date column and click in one of the cells to see what I mean:
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/redir...com/open?id=1Y5JrZDxe8l2xckOrdBynvg3yUN2MGfxa

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re: Strange Formatting When Clicking a Cell

Select the top date in the column, then doubleclick the square box in the bottom r/h corner of the selection box

Upvote 0

Select the top date in the column, then doubleclick the square box in the bottom r/h corner of the selection box

What are you talking about? Why would I paste down all these values down the date column?

What I'm asking is how do I apply this function: =TODAY()-31 to past dates in a column which will give me -28, or -12, or -55 at the end? For example, I got 2/28/2018. How do I apply that formula in that date so when I click on the cell it gives me =TODAY()-44 ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

In essence, this is what you've got:

B5: =TODAY()-31
B6: =TODAY()-95
B7: =TODAY()-6

C5: =TODAY()-B5 (copied down the column)

It's no surprise that column C simply gives you back the numbers you have hard-coded into the column B formula. Where do these numbers 31,95,6 etc come from?

Surely the days outstanding in column C should be a formula based on the invoice due date? At the moment, these are all shown as falling in 2012?

Book1
ABC
2Today14 Apr 2018
4InvoiceDateDays O/S
5100114 Mar 201831
610029 Jan 201895
710038 Apr 20186
Sheet1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

In essence, this is what you've got:

B5: =TODAY()-31
B6: =TODAY()-95
B7: =TODAY()-6

C5: =TODAY()-B5 (copied down the column)

It's no surprise that column C simply gives you back the numbers you have hard-coded into the column B formula. Where do these numbers 31,95,6 etc come from?

Surely the days outstanding in column C should be a formula based on the invoice due date? At the moment, these are all shown as falling in 2012?

ABC
2Today14 Apr 2018
4InvoiceDateDays O/S
5100114 Mar 201831
610029 Jan 201895
710038 Apr 20186

<tbody>
</tbody>

I'm very confused by your answer. I entered 3/31/2018 in A1. In A2 I entered: =TODAY()-A1 hoping to get =TODAY()-14 which would be 3/31/2018. But the answer came out as: 1/14/1900.

To answer your other question as to where I got these numbers 31,95,6... These are the number of days from today's date in the spreadsheet I linked. Didnt you see this??

Again I'll make it simple.. Lets say I got this below. How do i get each cell to give me =TODAY()-'number of days from todays date' when I click in the cell?

Book1
A
12/11/2018
22/22/2018
33/2/2018
Sheet1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Just change your format to GENERAL or NUMBER and you will get 14.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THMarana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back