How to Show Standard Time in NOW Function?

bencar

Banned user
How do I use =NOW() to give me the current date (of course), but standard time, not military time. For ex, I want the time after the date to show as 4:00 not 1600.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I'm confused. How would I enter this into =NOW()?
You can use ..

=TEXT(NOW(),"dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm") (and you might want to swap the dd/mm part depending on your location & standard date format)

.. but then your cell will contain text, not a date/time. That means you wouldn't be able to, for example, subtract two such values to determine the difference between them.

If you want the cell to actually contain a date/time then you would leave =NOW() in the cell and custom format that cell (or column etc) as OGCV1 described, or perhaps as just dd/mm/yy hh:mm (again, you might want to swap the dd/mm part depending on your location & standard date format)

Upvote 0
You can use ..

=TEXT(NOW(),"dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm") (and you might want to swap the dd/mm part depending on your location & standard date format)

.. but then your cell will contain text, not a date/time. That means you wouldn't be able to, for example, subtract two such values to determine the difference between them.

If you want the cell to actually contain a date/time then you would leave =NOW() in the cell and custom format that cell (or column etc) as OGCV1 described, or perhaps as just dd/mm/yy hh:mm (again, you might want to swap the dd/mm part depending on your location & standard date format)

Ahhh.. thank you so much.. its the answer I was looking for especially the part about custom formatting.. thank u again!

Upvote 0
It was never explained relating to NOW.
Fair enough, but that is not what is usually referred to by the term "Custom Formatting".
Anyway, so long as you have what you want, all is well. :)

Upvote 0
Fair enough, but that is not what is usually referred to by the term "Custom Formatting".
Anyway, so long as you have what you want, all is well. :)

Sorry didn't really elaborate on my answer, thanks Peter for making it clearer.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKSMITH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back