Pivot Table custom sort

crazydragon84

Board Regular
Hi,

I have set of transaction data that has various fields such as name, date, amount (and various other attributes of the transactions). I have 4 pivot tables that splits this data into different sets of data (mainly divided by transaction types like buys, sells, fees, etc.). the pivots have certain filters and conditions to show only specific type of data. The pivot tables have no Values, just rows (this is because I want to see by transaction, not by aggregated amounts). For instance, if ABC had $200 and $300 transaction on 3/1 and 3/15, I want to see this twice. I copy this pivot table data to a "Final report" that gets used elsewhere in the firm.

The problem is, I want to keep the name field as the first field, but sort it by date column, which is in second (or later) field. When I try to "Sort oldest to newest" it does, but only after it sorts by the first column (Name). Thus, ABC's 3/1 and 3/15 transactions will always show up before XYZ's 3/2 transaction. Is there a way to do this automatically (without using vba), or do I just need to copy and paste the data then sort it afterwards?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Automatically, without using VBA - suggest you use a query (table) instead (of a pivot table). Can be set to refresh every n minutes.

Upvote 0
interesting. i never knew this feature, but it looks like it requires the underlying data to be in a table format. so my raw data is extracted to a data tab using an excel addin (sql base). the addin will delete all the data in the tab, then refreshes the tab with new sets up data (which means the underlying table will disappear everytime I refresh the table). Any workarounds? I do use a named range on the data.

Upvote 0
not sure I understand.

yes, the underlying data needs to be in a table format. (so, same as is done currently for the pivot table?)

the addin will delete all data in the tab, then refreshes the tab with new sets up data
Well, with new data that is what you want. And it has a named range. This suits a query very well. Just refresh the query. Not sure why a workaround is mentioned.

the query is simple enough in practice. it is defined/set-up, and then refreshed as required.

I need more explanation/understanding of the situation to be able to advise

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back