Problem with "Application.ScreenUpdating = False" when vba adresses several wb's

kit99

In this thread:
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel...excel-2016-screen-flickering.html#post5049484
... I was given the advice to use Application.ScreenUpdating = False on my entire code to prevent screen flashing/flickering while running the code (this issue started when upgrading from Office 2010 to Office 2016).

But my code opens and closes a lot of wb's during it's run, and I've now discovered that Application.ScreenUpdating = False may not be enough to keep all wb's down while running the code. It seems that Excel 2013/2016 creates new instances when I open a file, and these wb's ain't affected.

Anyone that knows of a way I can prevent this using vba?

In my code I've also started using Application.StatusBar = "Currently updating file: Group1" and so on to let me know what my code is currently doing, but when other wb's still pop up I'm losing this information as well...

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Have you got rid of all the select/activate stuff as was suggested in that thread?

Upvote 0
Have you got rid of all the select/activate stuff as was suggested in that thread?

Sorry, haven't found the time to look at that. Thought it wasn't that critical, so I put it a bit down on my "to-do-list"...
You think this is what's causing my problems?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, yes.:)

Activating/selecting workbooks/windows etc. is usually the reason why you get 'flickering'.

Upvote 0
Well, yes.:)

Activating/selecting workbooks/windows etc. is usually the reason why you get 'flickering'.

Ops...
Then I'll re-arrange my "to-do-list" at bit... :)
Thanks a lot for responding to my thread!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back