Thread: VBA: Searching for matches in array excel not responding

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default VBA: Searching for matches in array excel not responding

I am still learning how to use arrays well, but this appears to be working until it starts the br loop. the computer fan starts running high and when i click on excel it says not responding. what am i doing wrong?

Code:
    Public Sub ReadToFromArray()

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Select
    Dim a As Long
    a = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA(ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(1048576, 1)))

PRnum = Array(1, 5, 10, 11, 13, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 28, 29, 33, 35)
    PRtext = Array("1", "5", "10", "11", "13", "18", "20", "21", "22", "23", "25", "28", "29", "33", "35")

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Arrays").Select
    ' Declare dynamic array for Pri to Br
    Dim Network As Variant
    Network = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Arrays").Range(Cells(4, 2), Cells(36, 16)).Value

'delete the data we will not be using "B4:P36"
    'ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Columns("AG:AY").EntireColumn.Delete
    'ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Columns("O:AE").EntireColumn.Delete
    'ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Columns("K:L").EntireColumn.Delete
    'ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Columns("H:I").EntireColumn.Delete
    'ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Columns("C:F").EntireColumn.Delete

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Select
    ' Declare dynamic array for entire data set
    Dim Dataset As Variant
    Dataset = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(a + 1, 7)).Value

For p = 0 To UBound(PRnum)

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Select

'clean and populate primary data
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Rows("5:1048576").EntireRow.Delete
    Dim x As Long
    x = 0
    For li = 1 To a
    If Dataset(li, 1) = PRnum(p) And Dataset(li, 3) = PRnum(p) And Dataset(li, 7) > 0 Then
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Cells(x + 5, 2).Value = Dataset(li, 2)
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Cells(x + 5, 3).Value = Dataset(li, 4)
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Cells(x + 5, 4).Value = Round(Dataset(li, 7), 0)
    If ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Cells(x + 5, 4).Value <= ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Cells(x + 5, 3).Value Then
    Else
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Cells(x + 5, 5).Value = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Cells(x + 5, 4).Value - ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Cells(x + 5, 3).Value
    End If
    x = (x + 1)
    Else
    End If
    Next li

Dim y As Long
    y = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA(ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Range(Cells(5, 2), Cells(1048576, 2)))

Dim Lines As Variant
    Lines = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Range(Cells(5, 2), Cells(y + 4, 2)).Value

For br = 1 To 33

For pli = 1 To y

For li2 = 1 To a

If Dataset(li2, 2) = Lines(pli, 1) And Dataset(li2, 1) = Network(p + 1, br) And Dataset(li2, 7) > 0 Then

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Cells(pli + 4, (br * 2) + 12).Value = Dataset(li2, 4)
            ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BR" & PRnum(p)).Cells(pli + 4, (br * 2) + 13).Value = Round(Dataset(li2, 7), 0)

GoTo FoundIt
            Else

End If

Next li2
    FoundIt:
        Next pli

Next br
    Next p
    End Sub
    Last edited by knacksc2; Apr 18th, 2018 at 09:55 AM.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VBA: Searching for matches in array excel not responding

My internet policy at work won't let me upload a file, but i can email the file if anyone wants it. just let me know

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to put the problem in more logical terms, the 'br' loop is supposed to loop through each of the receiving branches, loop through the 'Dataset' array looking for where the part number matches the 'Lines' array, the branch number matches and the usage on that item is greater than 0. if those things are true then i populate the qty available and the 6 mo usage, otherwise leave it blank (do nothing)

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm a fairly basic user, but I know there could definitely be issues using nested 'for' loops with 4 levels.

While I highly doubt you are using over a million rows in your table (hardcoded bottom row), it could start causing problems fairly quickly dependent on the number of rows.
    My guess at the most simple reason is that the program is just taking a really long time because there are a lot of iterations.

So I guess a good place to start is... How many rows does your table have? (or more specifically, what are your 'a' and 'y' values)

Another recommendation I could make is to use the breakpoint tool in VBA (place it next to 'For p = 0 To UBound(PRnum) ') and then step through (F8) to see if you can clear all the way to "foundIt"

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104857 is not hard coded as the bottom of the table, just for the count function. Perhaps i am wrong. that was my way of making the iteration exactly as long as it needed to be. let me know if that sounds right.

as for the breakpoint tool, i have never used it before, i will see what i can figure with it right away and get back to you. thanks for the direction so far.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you were right, stepping through did show me where it is failing with type mismatch error, this line:

Code:
            If Dataset(li2, 2) = Lines(pli, 1) And Dataset(li2, 1) = Network(br, p + 1) And Dataset(li2, 7) > 0 Then
    any idea what could be wrong?

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i divided the if statement out to see if i could gain better insight, and it failed on the second iteration of the 'li2 loop at the first if line shown below:
    Code:
    For br = 1 To 33    For pli = 1 To 10 'y

For li2 = 1 To 10 'a

'If Lines(pli, 1) = Dataset(li2, 2) And Dataset(li2, 1) = Network(br, p + 1) And Dataset(li2, 7) > 0 Then
            If Lines(pli, 1) = Dataset(li2, 2) Then
            If Dataset(li2, 1) = Network(br, p + 1) Then
            If Dataset(li2, 7) > 0 Then

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah,

My guess is it has to do with the fact that all your arrays are declared as 'Variant' (common first step for dynamic arrays).

My first step with such things would be Inserting this above the 'error' line:

Code:
    MsgBox("DatasetType = " & Typename(Dataset(li2,2)) & vbNewLine & "LinesType = " & Typename(Lines(pli,1)) & vbNewLine & "NetworkType = " & Typename(Network(br,p+1)))
    That^ will show what variable type it is trying to 'cast' them as. I would imagine they are not all the same and it's causing a mismatch.

Most people recommend avoiding 'variant' variables whenever possible, for reasons like this.

If you know what data type you will be using in these arrays, I'd recommend declaring your arrays beforehand -> Dim dataset() As String (Long, float, Boolean... etc)

Or... the sloppy way to do it (which I do all the time) is to 'cast' or convert the datatype to the same thing after-the-fact:

Code:
    If Clng(Dataset(li2, 2)) = Clng(Lines(pli, 1)) And Clng(Dataset(li2, 1)) = Clng(Network(br, p + 1)) And Clng(Dataset(li2, 7)) > 0 Then
    That^ is not really a typical course of action, but it will treat all your arguments as the 'Long' data type (preventing mismatch). I use this for debugging/quickfixes.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, o.k. will try this right away. will get right back to you. thanks for the direction and education on data types in arrays

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so the msgbox line gives me the same error, and i still get a type mismatch error even when using the CLng() here is the code:

Code:
    For br = 1 To 33    
    For pli = 1 To y
            For li2 = 1 To a
            MsgBox ("DatasetType = " & TypeName(Dataset(li2, 2)) & vbNewLine & "LinesType = " & TypeName(Lines(pli, 1)) & vbNewLine & "NetworkType = " & TypeName(Network(br, p + 1)))
            'If CLng(Lines(pli, 1)) = CLng(Dataset(li2, 2)) And CLng(Dataset(li2, 1)) = CLng(Network(br, p + 1)) And CLng(Dataset(li2, 7)) > 0 Then
            If CLng(Lines(pli, 1)) = CLng(Dataset(li2, 2)) Then
            If Dataset(li2, 1) = Network(br, p + 1) Then
            If Dataset(li2, 7) > 0 Then
    I must be doing something wrong...
    Last edited by knacksc2; Apr 18th, 2018 at 01:42 PM.

User Tag List