Rename sheet to filename word before the first space.

jdoncouse

I have a list of inventory forms that I keep up with every month. I've been trying to automate a lot of what I do and am close to finishing my macro excel document. The format of all the workbook names is *FirstInitialLastname_Inventory_Year.xls. I have my workbook pull the sheets from these workbooks and rename them to the filename. How do I only rename the sheets to only the FirstInitalLastname part so I can compare the names to a list to see who all I don't have?

The code I currently have is

Code:
With ActiveWorkbook    ActiveSheet.Name = Left(.Name, 30)
End With

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Try:
Code:
Sub test()
    ActiveSheet.Name = Left(ActiveSheet.Name, WorksheetFunction.Find("_", ActiveSheet.Name, 1) - 1)
End Sub

Upvote 0
Sadly that didn't do it. Gives me *unable to get the Find property of the WorksheetFunction class* I'll add more information on what's going on in my code.

Code:
Do While Filename <> ""

Workbooks.Open Filename:=Path, ReadOnly:=False
With ActiveWorkbook
    ActiveSheet.Name = Left(.Name, 30)
End With

My master inventory form workbook opens other workbooks *other employees inventory forms* and while they are open changes the names to the corresponding workbooks name *FirstInitialLastname_Inventory_Year.xls* Then adds them to my master form

Upvote 0
Now that I think about it. I have to have 30 in the code for the name because some of the filenames would extend the 31 mark for the sheet names. Do you think that could be the problem here?

Upvote 0
Ok figured it out. It was kinda my own fault at explaining. I put "_" as if it was an underscore when I actually ment "space" in the filenames. Thank you though it worked!

Upvote 0
FWIW, vba has its own equivalent of Find so I would use that in preference to the worksheet.function. So if you are sure the file name will always have a space in it, you could use
Rich (BB code):
With ActiveWorkbook
  ActiveSheet.Name = Left(Left(.Name, InStr(1, .Name, " ") - 1), 30)
End With

If it might be possible there are no spaces in the workbook name, you could just add one (though that would leave any filename extension in the sheet name) & that middle line of code would become:
Rich (BB code):
ActiveSheet.Name = Left(Left(.Name, InStr(1, .Name & " ", " ") - 1), 30)

Another simple option for that code line that should work with or without spaces would be:
Rich (BB code):
ActiveSheet.Name = Split(.Name)(0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back