Absolute Reference to cell in different worksheet in VBA code

ANALYSTBANK

Board Regular
I have following formula in worksheet(RDRead)cell D2, which retrieves data from another worksheet(RD) and some controller reference from active sheet RDRead only.

Code:
=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(MID(RD!$B1,FIND($D$1,RD!$B1)+12,(FIND("pChange",RD!B1)-(FIND($D$1,RD!$B1)+12))),",",""),"""",""))

above formula brings the correct result, when done manually, directly on worksheet. Row 1, is like header.

But when i route above forumla through VBA Macro as under, it brings absurd result.

Code:
Cells(lngRowsF, "D").FormulaR1C1 = _
    "=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(MID(RD!R[-1]C2,FIND(R1C4,RD!R[-1]C2)+12,(FIND(""pChange"",RD!R[-1]C[-2])-(FIND(R1C4,RD!R[-1]C2)+12))),"","",""""),"""""",""""))"

Please help. Key issue is some Cells are referred from same worksheet, and some data is referred from another worksheet named RD from where data is retrieved/pulled in worksheet RDRead.

I think, i am forgetting some basic requirement of how absoulte and relative cell reference is made in VBA.

P.S.: I had made this request in other forum but having waited there for over a day, and seeing no response and no members online, i withdrew it from there, so there is no duplicates, trust no offence here. Look forward to learn and get solution.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
It would be useful in this case to have a bit of sample data to attempt to see what you are trying to achieve.

Upvote 0
thanks @steve the fish,

here is the sample file with worksheet name RD (source worksheet) and RDRead (output worksheet).

Output worksheet, just for better understanding, I have currently put formula manually which brings the correct/desired result, when done manually.

But i want this to get updated through macro, hence sample macro is made 'test' which does not bring the data as desired.

Just in case you accidentally lose data, i have made extra sheet Sample output Data to restore manual formulas.

Thanks

Im getting message that i can not make attachment hence the excel file that i use in 97-2003 format is uploaded here

Code:
[URL]https://www.sendspace.com/file/franw4[/URL]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok you dont need to use loops to put formulas in the cells like that. Altering your sample code try this:

Code:
Dim lngRowsF As Long, sh As Worksheet

With Sheets("Sample OutputData")
    lngRowsF = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    .Range("B2:B" & lngRowsF).FormulaR1C1 = "=MID(RD!R[-1]C2,FIND(R1C2,RD!R[-1]C2)+17,20)"
    .Range("C2:C" & lngRowsF).FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(MID(RD!R[-1]C[-1],FIND(R1C3,RD!R[-1]C2)+13,(FIND(""bestSell"",RD!R[-1]C[-1])-(FIND(R1C3,RD!R[-1]C2)+13))),"","",""""),"""""""","""")"
    .Range("D2:D" & lngRowsF).FormulaR1C1 = "=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(MID(RD!R[-1]C[-2],FIND(R1C4,RD!R[-1]C[-2])+12,(FIND(""pChange"",RD!R[-1]C[-2])-(FIND(R1C4,RD!R[-1]C[-2])+12))),"","",""""),"""""""",""""))"
    .Range("E2:E" & lngRowsF).FormulaR1C1 = "=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(MID(RD!R[-1]C2,FIND(R1C5,RD!R[-1]C2)+12,(FIND(""closePrice"",RD!R[-1]C2)-(FIND(R1C5,RD!R[-1]C2)+12))),"","",""""),"""""""",""""))"
    .Range("F2:F" & lngRowsF).FormulaR1C1 = "=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(MID(RD!R[-1]C2,FIND(R1C6,RD!R[-1]C2)+12,(FIND(""companyName"",RD!R[-1]C2)-(FIND(R1C6,RD!R[-1]C2)+12))),"","",""""),"""""""",""""),""}]"",""""))"
End With

Upvote 0
Slightly different formulas which i would prefer to use:

Code:
With Sheets("Sample OutputData")
    lngRowsF = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    .Range("B2:C" & lngRowsF).FormulaR1C1 = "=TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(REPLACE(RD!R[-1]C2,1,FIND(R1C,RD!R[-1]C2)+LEN(R1C)+2,""""),"""""""",REPT("" "",99)),99))"
    .Range("D2:F" & lngRowsF).FormulaR1C1 = "=0+TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(REPLACE(RD!R[-1]C2,1,FIND(R1C,RD!R[-1]C2)+LEN(R1C)+2,""""),"""""""",REPT("" "",99)),99))"
End With

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aveternik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back