Help with the kind of function and syntaxis

wolfje

Hi guys, I'm a relatively basic excel user, and now I'm faced with an issue that I'm sure it's fairly simple to resolve, I just can't figure it out.
I have this spreadsheet where I'm given just the name of the passengers, how many days they'll stay and which kind of room they'll use. Also, I'm given the price of each kind of room, the exchange rate between NZD and USD and taxes.

So according to this spreadsheet, which function should I use in other for me to automatically get Net USD, Net NZD, Total USD and Total NZD just with the data given?

PassengerDaysKind of roomNet USDNet NZDTotal USDTotal NZD
A7Single
B14Double
C5Double
D4Single

<tbody>
</tbody>
NZD 1USD 0.72
GST15%
Single Room50 NZD
Double Room85 NZD

<tbody>
</tbody>

I tried several functions including IF, SUMIF, SUMINFS with no luck, at best I've received 0 as a result.
Please, please give me a hint about what should I do in this case.

Thank you so much in advance

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Hi,

It sounds like some kind of assignment or homework, Pardon me if I'm wrong.
So what I can offer is, if you can change the structure of the 2nd table to look like below, where the Numbers are separated from the Texts, then there are a variety of functions/formula you can use.
A couple of suggestions would be SUMIF or SUMIFS and other basic math, VLOOKUP and math.

Excel 2010
ABCDEFG
1PassengerDaysKind of roomNet USDNet NZDTotal USDTotal NZD
2A7Single
3B14Double
4C5Double
5D4Single
7NZD1USD0.72
8GST15%
9Single50NZD
10Double85NZD
Sheet4

Upvote 0
In a way it is? We've been using this spreadsheet for a while, but we input the numbers by hand, I mean at most =sum(price*how many days) and then the conversion into USD, but my management has tasked me to find a better and faster way. Sadly I can't just figure it out. I'm fairly sure once someone tells me you should use this function and this syntaxis I'll feel very dumb.

Upvote 0
In a way it is? We've been using this spreadsheet for a while, but we input the numbers by hand, I mean at most =sum(price*how many days) and then the conversion into USD, but my management has tasked me to find a better and faster way. Sadly I can't just figure it out. I'm fairly sure once someone tells me you should use this function and this syntaxis I'll feel very dumb.

Thank you for clarifying, doesn't sound like Homework.
As pointed out by shg, you cross posted at Excelforum, might want to take a look here (especially #13 ): https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/99490-forum-rules.html

You posted/uploaded a sample Workbook there, but I have no access to it since I'm not a member of that site.
So I've made some modifications to the sample posted here to make the formulas easier to manage, if the table can not be changed, then you can adjust the formulas to suit, or if you need further help, post an actual sample of the exact layout of your Workbook here.

Excel 2010
ABCDEFG
1PassengerDaysKind of roomNet USDNet NZDTotal USDTotal NZD
2A7Single252350289.8402.5
3B14Double856.81190985.321368.5
4C5Double306425351.9488.75
5D4Single144200165.6230
7USDNZD
9GST15%
10Single50NZD
11Double85NZD
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2=SUMIF($A$10:$A$11,$C2,$B$10:$B$11)*A$8*$B2
F2=SUMIF($A$10:$A$11,$C2,$B$10:$B$11)*A$8*$B2*(1+$B$9)

D2 formula copied down and across to E5
F2 formula copied down and across to G5

When there're any changes to Room rates, Tax rate, Conversion rate, just change the figures in A8:B11

Upvote 0
ABCDEFG
1PassengersDaysKind of RoomNet USDNet NZDTotal NZDTotal USD
a6Double
3b8Single
4c24Double
5d9Double
6e17Single
7h20Single
8w3Single
9x15Double
10y15Double

<tbody>
</tbody>

On a separate sheet I had the following indicators:

1 NZD0.72 USD
GST15%
Double85 NZD
Single 50 NZD

<tbody>
</tbody>

Finally used:

=IF(Kind_of_room="Double";SUM(Days*Ref!$B$3);IF(Kind_of_room="Single";SUM(Days*Ref!$B$4))) In order to obtain Net NZD and the rest was an easy use of SUM

Took me well over 8 hours.
Thanks for your help, I do really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back