Nested IF-formulas + commas to decimal points

GabrielAIK

Hi,

I have a quite cumbersome (?) question I would love to receive tips regarding.

So I have a cell (W48) where I will have a share price. However, this share price will have commas instead of decimal points. Now, I want to turn this number to a "correct" one in cell W39.

So let's say cell W48 is "228,0", I want the cell W39 to display the number "228.0".

The difficulty is that the share price can go from basically 0-1,000.

What I have done thus far (which is incorrect) in cell W39 is to type this formula:

=IF(W48>=100,LEFT(W48,3)+(RIGHT(W48,2)/100),IF(LEFT(W48,2)>=10,LEFT(W48,2)+(RIGHT(W48,2)/100),IF(LEFT(W48,1)>=1,LEFT(W48,1)+(RIGHT(W48,2)/100),"ERROR")))

So what I am trying to do is:

If cell W48 is 100.00-999.00, I am going to use a "LEFT"-formula to take the three left values, and then the "RIGHT"-formula to take the decimal points.... Etc.

However, this does not work for all values.

If I write a number between 100,00-999,00 in cell W48, it works, but if I write e.g. "22,00" in that cell, then I get a #VALUE!-error in cell W-39.

Sorry if I don't make any sense, I can try to clarify if you don't understand my problem.

Appreciate all help I can get!

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
So W48 can contain either a number or what looks like a range, in both cases there is no decimal point just a comma
So W48 can contain figures like
100,00-999,00

So what do you want the output to be if W48 contains 100,00-999,00 ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Worked like a charm!!! Thank you very much. Baffled how you even understood what my question was.

Is it possible to at a substitution for spaces also?

Your formula works excellent for numbers between 0-999,999

However if I have a share price of e.g. "9 541,00", is it possible to add a substitution that removes the spacing as well?

Upvote 0
Here you go

=LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(W48," ",""),",",".")&"-",FIND("-",SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(W48," ",""),",",".")&"-")-1)+0

I just added a SUBSTITUTE null "" for spaces around each W48

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here you go

=LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(W48," ",""),",",".")&"-",FIND("-",SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(W48," ",""),",",".")&"-")-1)+0

I just added a SUBSTITUTE null "" for spaces around each W48

That is a clever solution! Thank you very much for the help. Works perfectly now.

May I ask you what the "-1" means in "Num_chars" and the final "+0"?

Upvote 0
My final question is:

This works excellent if there are 2 decimal points, e.g. "100,00".

However, if I have 3 decimal points, e.g. "8,205", this wouldn't work, but I guess you can adjust the num_chart (?) for it to solve this issue where some share prices have 3 decimal points instead of 2?

Upvote 0
Our two examples are 22,00 and 100,00-999,00
One contains a minus the other doesnt, so Im deliberately adding a minus to each value so theres definitely a minus in there, so we get 22,00- and 100,00-999.00- (doesnt matter there are two minuses), the result in both cases is a string as there is a minus at the end.

So the overall formula says take the left of the string up to the minus FIND("-",...) but we dont want the position where the minus is we want the position before so its FIND("-",...)-1

So LEFT(string,FIND the minus but go one position back)

The +0 just changes the result into a number
You may see -- at the front sometimes in formulas, this does exactly the same thing, turns a result into a number.

Upvote 0
My final question is:

This works excellent if there are 2 decimal points, e.g. "100,00".

However, if I have 3 decimal points, e.g. "8,205", this wouldn't work, but I guess you can adjust the num_chart (?) for it to solve this issue where some share prices have 3 decimal points instead of 2?

Works ok for 8,205
I dont think it matters how many decimal places.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back