Recalculate percentages

SDowse

Board Regular
Hi,

Not entirely confident this is possible, but here is my situation.

I have 6 cells with percentage values in, I have hard typed these values in. What I want to do is to be able to adjust one percentage value and the other 5 percentage values automatically update but keeping the proportional value...if that makes sense?

Any ideas if this is possible?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
a shot in the dark, with your originals in A1:F1, input a new% within B2:F2 with new calculated % in A3:F3 (copy A3 across to F3)

Excel 2013/2016
ABCDEF
110%20%30%40%50%60%
225%
36%13%19%25%31%38%
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3=A1*INDEX($A$2:$F$2,MATCH(1000000,$A$2:$F$2))/INDEX($A$1:$F$1,MATCH(1000000,$A$2:$F$2))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi - thanks for the post, but I can't get this to work. I have entered a new % and the recalculation happens, but the total % is greater than 100%...

Upvote 0
Based on the layout AlanY suggested above, perhaps this:

Code:
=IF(LOOKUP(1.01,$A$2:$F$2,$A$1:$F$1)>SUM($A$2:$F$2),IF(A2="",A1+((LOOKUP(1.01,$A$2:$F$2,$A$1:$F$1)-SUM($A$2:$F$2))/5),A2),IF(A2="",A1-((SUM($A$2:$F$2)-LOOKUP(1.01,$A$2:$F$2,$A$1:$F$1))/5),A2))

This formula assumes there will only be one % changing at a time. If more than one % can change, then someone else may have to help.

However, it seems to be slightly inaccurate if the % change is not evenly divisible by 5. Then again, this only applies if you are not showing any decimal places. It works okay with 2 decimal places showing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi - many thanks. That seems to work and I can certainly have it so only 1 % changes at a time. Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back