Trigger Event in Wkbk A Based on Selection Event in Wkbk B - no Macros in Wkbk B

JonXL

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Good afternoon all!

What I am trying to achieve is this:

- User opens Workbook A
- User clicks a button to open Workbook B so they can edit it (B is password protected, it can only be opened in write mode from book A; this is supposed to 'force' users to only use book A (and its userforms) to make changes to B)
- Workbook A has codes for userforms in it that show up when the user clicks on cells in Workbook B
- The userforms in book A effect changes in book B
- Book A has macros; book B does not

Now; I have the process all set up in book B using selection events on the worksheets, userforms, etc. It's working splendidly; however, as stated, I'd like for all this code and userforms to be stored in Workbook A and for workbook B to not be saved with any macros, code, etc.

So I guess what I'm looking for is whether there is a way to have the worksheet selection codes in book A somehow refer to the worksheets in book B so it is triggered when cells on the sheets in B are selected.

Is there a way to achieve this? I haven't seen anything on Google that covers similar topics (the closest I could get is applying worksheet changes in an umbrella manner over an entire workbook, but not between/across workbooks).

Maybe there is a different event trigger I could trap that then round-about checks whether the user has selected a target cell in book B?

Short of options here except the hardest workaround (temporarily loading book B's sheets into book A and writing them back in after the changes are made...)

Thank you to anyone for any help!

What changes would be needed if I want to open book B from a macro in a standard module? I don't want it opening with book A. I was able to figure out how to modify mikerickson's code to do this...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
What changes would be needed if I want to open book B from a macro in a standard module? I don't want it opening with book A. I was able to figure out how to modify mikerickson's code to do this...

1- Code in the Thisworkbook Module of Workbook A :
Code:
Option Explicit

Public WithEvents wb As Workbook

Private Sub wb_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
    MsgBox "You selected : " & vbCr & vbCr & _
    "Cell: '" & Target.Address & "'" & vbCr & "In Sheet: '" & Sh.Name & "'" & vbCr & _
    "Of workbook: '" & wb.FullName & "'"
End Sub

Private Sub wb_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
    Set wb = Nothing
End Sub

2- Code in a Standard Module:
Code:
Option Explicit

Sub OpenWorkbook()
    Set ThisWorkbook.wb = Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\Owner\Documents\TestBookB.xlsx")
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
That did the trick splendidly.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THMarana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back