Vlookup with non specific value

klatlap

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all.

I know i can use this formula =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP("*"&"Hat"&"*",$A$1:$B$10,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP("*"&"Hat"&"*",$A$1:$B$10,2,0)) in the below list to find the number 3.

dog 1
cat 2
tophat 3
cow 4
pig 5

But how would i be able to find the number 3 doing this.

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP("*"&"TopHat"&"*",$A$1:$B$10,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP("*"&"Hat"&"*",$A$1:$B$10,2,0))

dog 1
cat 2
Hat 3
cow 4
pig 5

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
What version of Excel are you using?

Upvote 0
Would this work for you then?
For the first problem
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP("*"&"Hat"&"*",$A$1:$B$10,2,0),"")

For the second problem
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP("*"&"TopHat"&"*",$A$1:$B$10,2,0),IFERROR(VLOOKUP("*"&"Hat"&"*",$A$1:$B$10,2,0),""))

Note also that since you are putting the search value directly into the formulas, you could use
"*Hat*"
instead of
"*"&"Hat"&"*"
etc

Upvote 0
Sorry, maybe i should have explained it a bit better, this could have been a cell address like "*"&c1&"*" my aim is to search my list that contains for example "Hat" but my lookup value could be "thehatinthecat" once found it would display the number value in the next cell.

Upvote 0
Sorry, maybe i should have explained it a bit better,
It is still not entirely clear. Consider this sample data:

Excel Workbook
1dog1
2cat2
3tophat3
4cow4
5hat5
Sheet
<p style="width:5.6em;font-weight:bold;margin:0;padding:0.2em 0.6em 0.2em 0.5em;border: 1px solid rgb(187,187,187);border-top:none;text-align: center;background-color: rgb(218,231,245);color: rgb(22,17,32)">VLOOKUP</p>
The below attempted formula in post #1 seemed to me to indicate that you would prefer to find TopHat and therefore return 3 but if A3 was instead "mouse" the you would like to find Hat and therefore return 5. Is that interpretation correct or incorrect?
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP("*"&"TopHat"&"*",$A$1:$B$10,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP("*"&"Hat"&"*",$A$1:$B$10,2,0))

this could have been a cell address like "*"&c1&"*" my aim is to search my list that contains for example "Hat" but my lookup value could be "thehatinthecat" once found it would display the number value in the next cell.
So, if your "lookup value" is "thehatinthecat" and that is located in cell C1 then perhaps this?

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1dog1thehatinthecat3
2cat2
3Hat3
4dog4
5pig5
VLOOKUP (2)

If still unresolved, please give more examples and expected results together with explanation in relation to that sample data. My signature block below has a link with suggestions for good ways to show your sample data and layout.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the confusion, that formula works a treat, appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
Looks like...

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH("hat",A2:A6),B2:B6)

I'm struggling to understand how this works... could anyone break it down for me?
What exactly does the '9.99999999999999E+307' achieve? I though the first argument of a LOOKUP function was the value you wish to lookup?

Regards
Caleeco

Upvote 0
Caleeco, when you big a BigNum like this, the Lookup gives you the last value in the result array.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back