Taking Array Arguments in IF function, what actually are going on?

caniever

Hi all, I am always confused as to what Excel is doing when putting array arguments into an IF function. for example, if i have the following 2 arrays:

Array A:
1, 2
3, 4
5, 6

Array B:
I, II, III

ref cell <--to input a number for comparison

and if I have the following formula:
=IF ( ref cell = Array A, Array B) <--Let's just assume the false situation is omitted here

If the ref cell is 5, theorectically the comparison will give the following True/False array:

False, False;
False, False;
True, False

So for the only True case above, does Excel just display the array "I, II, III" ?

I know for a fact that if the size of array B is "I, II", it will really display result in the corresponding position, if the comparison argument is True, i.e. if any of the 1, 3, 5 is true, the result will be I, if any of the 2, 4, 6 is true, the result will be II.....I am sorry if I am expressing myself in a confusing way....

Do the "dimentions" of Array A and Array B have to follow some kind of rules so that IF function can work normally?

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Hi,

I'm probably misunderstanding what you're asking, but you can't test a value to an array with the IF function, they have to be an Exact match to return the correct result.
The IF function will return TRUE if the First value within the array is an Exact match, otherwise will always return FALSE.
For what you're describing, you should look into the LOOKUP, VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, or INDEX/MATCH functions

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi all, I am always confused as to what Excel is doing when putting array arguments into an IF function. for example, if i have the following 2 arrays:

Array A:
1, 2
3, 4
5, 6

Array B:
I, II, III

ref cell <--to input a number for comparison

and if I have the following formula:
=IF ( ref cell = Array A, Array B) <--Let's just assume the false situation is omitted here

If the ref cell is 5, theorectically the comparison will give the following True/False array:

False, False;
False, False;
True, False

So for the only True case above, does Excel just display the array "I, II, III" ?

I know for a fact that if the size of array B is "I, II", it will really display result in the corresponding position, if the comparison argument is True, i.e. if any of the 1, 3, 5 is true, the result will be I, if any of the 2, 4, 6 is true, the result will be II.....I am sorry if I am expressing myself in a confusing way....

Do the "dimentions" of Array A and Array B have to follow some kind of rules so that IF function can work normally?

Sorry I wanted to say the formula is IF(Array A=ref cell, Array B) instead of the original above...

Thank jtakw for giving a diff perspective to the question.

Upvote 0

To avoid errors in comparisons they should ideally have the same dimensions. Or, at least, the second array must have the same number of columns or rows as the first.
What exactly are you trying to do?

M.

Upvote 0
Sorry I wanted to say the formula is IF(Array A=ref cell, Array B) instead of the original above...

Thank jtakw for giving a diff perspective to the question.

There's no difference, same answer as above:

Book1
BCD
115No
Sheet38
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D1=IF(C1:C5=B7,B1:B5,"No")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the response. I just want to understand the array argument mechanism of the IF function. So if it's like your said, both array A and B are of the same dimensions, e.g. 2 x 3, so there will be 6 comparisons to be made, right? (a set of 6 True/False outcomes). For instance, if the first TRUE appears in the third comparison, so at that moment, IF will automatically show the THIRD element of the array B, right? So that is some position reference "mechanism".

Just wanna know if the above mechanism is affected by the sizes of the arrays. I think it is rare for people to use IF function that way, but I am just curious.

Upvote 0
There's no difference, same answer as above:

BCD
115No

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet38

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
D1=IF(C1:C5=B7,B1:B5,"No")

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Do you mean the value it shows is "No", but in essence it stores the array No, 2, No, No, No ?

Upvote 0
Thank you for the response. I just want to understand the array argument mechanism of the IF function. So if it's like your said, both array A and B are of the same dimensions, e.g. 2 x 3, so there will be 6 comparisons to be made, right? (a set of 6 True/False outcomes). For instance, if the first TRUE appears in the third comparison, so at that moment, IF will automatically show the THIRD element of the array B, right? So that is some position reference "mechanism".

Just wanna know if the above mechanism is affected by the sizes of the arrays. I think it is rare for people to use IF function that way, but I am just curious.

=IF(A2:A4="JAD",B2:B6)

=IF(A2:A4=C2:C6,1,0)

The first is a filter action, the second a test for, in this equality, equality.

Select the formula of interest, go to the formula bar, hit F9 in order to see how each is evaluated. The parts which are missing elementwise will show up as #N/A evaluations.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back