Not sure if nested IF, with AND, in addition to OR, unless there's a better way?

Jason Brown

Excel 2016 without the office 365 subscription so I can't use IFS. So I've got two columns of conditions.

Column 1 has five possible values; low, low/mod, moderate, mod/high, and high.
Column 2 has four; Strong, adequate, needs improvement, and none exists.

I want to look at those values and fill in a value in a third column; low, low/mod, moderate, mod/high, and high.

As I can only nest 7 IF statements I'm guessing I might be unable to do this. But since 10 outcomes are going to be low, four Low/Mod, three Moderate, two Mod/High and one High, is there some way to do it?

I've been playing around with it but don't want to spend more time. I'm thinking the first IF could use an OR and accomplish the ten low outcomes, then the next IF the four low/mod, etc. Will that work?

Thanks in advance.

It's not a pivot table, but rather we're looking at various factors and assigning a risk level and a control level and rather than have to manually go through the list and enter the residual risk, I wanted to have a formula automatically enter the result. I'm using conditional formatting to then colorize the results.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I get the NAME error when I do this:

=IF(XEP4>27,”high”,IF(AND(XEP>15,XEP4<28),"Mod/High",IF(AND(XEP>11,XEP4<16),"Moderate",IF(AND(XEP>6,XEP4<12),"Low/Mod","Low"))))

Upvote 0
Excel 2016 without the office 365 subscription so I can't use IFS. So I've got two columns of conditions.

Column 1 has five possible values; low, low/mod, moderate, mod/high, and high.
Column 2 has four; Strong, adequate, needs improvement, and none exists.

I want to look at those values and fill in a value in a third column; low, low/mod, moderate, mod/high, and high.

As I can only nest 7 IF statements I'm guessing I might be unable to do this. But since 10 outcomes are going to be low, four Low/Mod, three Moderate, two Mod/High and one High, is there some way to do it?

I've been playing around with it but don't want to spend more time. I'm thinking the first IF could use an OR and accomplish the ten low outcomes, then the next IF the four low/mod, etc. Will that work?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe this in C2 and copy down

=INDEX({"Low/Mod","Moderate","Mod/High","High";"Low","Low/Mod","Moderate","Mod/High";"Low","Low","Low/Mod","Moderate";"Low","Low","Low","Low/Mod";"Low","Low","Low","Low"},
MATCH(A2,{"High";"Mod/High";"Moderate";"Low/Mod";"Low"},0),MATCH(B2,{"Strong","Adequate","Needs Imp.","None"},0))

Markmzz

Upvote 0
Didn't realize they upped it to 64. I'll look into that later. What I decided to do was assign numerical values to the various outcomes and multiplied them. So I came up with this formula to examine the values and return the result, but I'm getting an error. What am I doing wrong?

=IF(XEP4>27,”high”,IF((AND(XEP4>15,XEP4<27),"Mod/High",IF((AND(XEP4>11,XEP4<15),"Moderate",IF((AND(XEP4>6,XEP4<12),"Low/Mod","Low")))))))

If you are ok with using the numerical values try my solution I gave earlier that should make it much easier.

Upvote 0
Hi!

You can try this too:

1) Create a table in G1:K6 with the layout below.

2) Create the name TabData to the range $G$1:$K$6.

3) After that, use the formula below in C2 and copy down.

=INDEX(TabData,MATCH(A2,INDEX(TabData,,1),0),MATCH(B2,INDEX(TabData,1,),0))

ABCDEFGHIJKL
1Column01Column02Column03StrongAdequateNeeds Imp.None
2HighNeeds Imp.Mod/HighHighLow/ModModerateMod/HighHigh
3HighStrongLow/ModMod/HighLowLow/ModModerateMod/High
4ModerateNoneModerateModerateLowLowLow/ModModerate
5ModerateAdequateLowLow/ModLowLowLowLow/Mod
6HighNoneHighLowLowLowLowLow
7ModerateAdequateLow
8HighNoneHigh
9LowNeeds Imp.Low
10LowAdequateLow
11HighNeeds Imp.Mod/High
12ModerateNeeds Imp.Low/Mod
13ModerateStrongLow
14Mod/HighStrongLow
15Mod/HighStrongLow
16ModerateAdequateLow
17Low/ModNoneLow/Mod
18Mod/HighNoneMod/High
19Mod/HighNeeds Imp.Moderate
20LowNoneLow
21LowAdequateLow
*******************************************************************************************

<tbody>
</tbody>

Markmzz

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back