copy data from worksheet to another worksheet without overwriting

gandalf72

Hi Folks,

Looking for some help and advice, please. Difficult one to explain, Essentially I have 2 worksheets. For simplistic sense, let's call one Raw Data that gets updated daily and the other live reporting.

Raw data contains lots of information and is updated with new people every day.

Live reporting takes the data from certain cells consistently of the rows in the raw data and uses it.

As each day goes by new people are added to raw data, that contains various different information that stays consistent in the live report worksheet. This data cant be overwritten or moved to a different location.

My question is how can this be done.

Raw Data day 1
Namelocationstart date
smith, bobSmithfield21/5/18
jones, aliasJonesland15/5/18

<tbody>
</tbody>

NamelocationStart Date
smith, bobSmithfield18/5/18
jones, aliasJonesland15/5/18
bloggs, Joebloggsphere22/5/18

<tbody>
</tbody>

****** id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 433.333px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">
15/5/18

<tbody>
</tbody>

</body>Live Reporting worksheet
NameStart DateComments
Smith, bob18/5/18updated with relevant comment
Jones, Alias15/5/18updated with relevant comment

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want to be able to take the data from the raw data and populate the live working data sheet without losing what is in the comments section. I am happy if it writes all new starts at the end but it cant take same value or add a new one and overwrite an existing cell on live reporting worksheet if that makes sense. The other key point is I won't be taking the entire row but only parts of the row say name and start date from raw data and not location.

thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Some experts may understand your posting.
But, I need some clarifications.

You have given the table of 'Raw Data day 1'
The next table is not given any Title.

In 'Raw Data day 1' the Start date of 'smith, bob' is 21/5/18.
But in the second Table it is 18/5/18.
Is it okay?
Does this date column change day after day?

There is another table with '15/5/18'.
Why is this posted here?

You say : "I want to be able to take the data from the raw data and..."
Which Data? I mean, data from which column or row or cell?

You say : " ... and populate the live working data sheet without losing what is in the comments section...."
Do you mean to say that you are overwriting the cells in the live working data sheet except the Comments column?
You have also mentioned that overwriting should not be done.

You say : " ... I am happy if it writes all new starts at the end but ..."
If you want to write at the end 'losing what is in the comments section' does not arise, isn't it?

You say : " ... but it cant take same value or add a new one and overwrite an existing cell on live reporting worksheet if that makes sense."
Do you mean to say that the 'same value' refers to the existing names on Day 1 and the 'new one' means the data on Day2?

You say : " ... The other key point is I won't be taking the entire row but only parts of the row say name and start date from raw data and not location."
This can be done.

Please give an example of how the end result will look like.
This will help experts to reply you. If no one replies you, if possible, I will try to give you a solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't call it out very well. Its kind of a difficult thing that I am doing as there is no unique identifier.

"You have given the table of 'Raw Data day 1' The next table is not given any Title."

Ok so what I have is raw data that will dump new learners and their data every day. The second worksheet is going to be the course that they are on and all assessors that are going to be assessing that course. For simplistic sake lets call worksheet 1 Raw Data and Worksheet 2 course.

In 'Raw Data day 1' the Start date of 'smith, bob' is 21/5/18. But in the second Table it is 18/5/18. Is it okay? Sorry this was an error on my part. The data is just an example date does not change.

Does this date column change day after day?
On the Raw Data the date is called Pot Data but on Course Data it is called Start Date.

There is another table with '15/5/18'.
Why is this posted here?

This was an error that I could not fix. Please ignore.

You say : " ... and populate the live working data sheet without losing what is in the comments section...."
Do you mean to say that you are overwriting the cells in the live working data sheet except the Comments column?
You have also mentioned that overwriting should not be done.

What I mean by this is that the raw data is always going to change and I cant be sure that the raw data stays in the same location. What is important is that it takes the assessor and the course and then takes the data it needs from the raw data tab and populates the relevant section but at the end of course it has a column called comments and I cant have that been replaced / overwritten or the data from that entire row changed by different data for each new data it should locate the first free row and then populate from there.

You say : " ... I am happy if it writes all new starts at the end but ..."
If you want to write at the end 'losing what is in the comments section' does not arise, isn't it?
Correct

You say : " ... but it cant take same value or add a new one and overwrite an existing cell on live reporting worksheet if that makes sense."
Do you mean to say that the 'same value' refers to the existing names on Day 1 and the 'new one' means the data on Day2?
Yes, I need to ensure the existing data stays the same.

NameStart dateStatusLevelAssessorIQAEmployerTarget Completion DateCourse

<tbody>
</tbody>

You say : "I want to be able to take the data from the raw data and..."

Which Data? I mean, data from which column or row or cell?

I have done the tables again due to errors that I made on original and put a text box with a better description which I hope helps

This table is the raw data
r7vj8i.jpg

This Table is the course table
2r26crl.jpg
[/IMG]

I thank you for your help in advance and sorry I was not more clearer.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back