Arrays/Collections/Unique values, oh my

Jer Maine

Hi, I'm attempting to copy one specific column (containing string values) from a table and then narrow them down to unique values only and get rid of blanks. I've scoured the internet and am still not sure of a good way to handle this. I have found where I can easily copy an entire table into an array, but I just want one column for now. My ultimate plan is to use those unique values to roll up dollar values in another column in the same table. Basically very similar to what a pivot table would do. But I need to add some more functionality later, so a pivot table won't do. Thanks!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
You can use a dictionary for that like
Code:
Sub CompareData()
   Dim Cl As Range

With CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
      For Each Cl In Range("A2", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
         If Not .exists(Cl.Value) And Len(Cl) > 0 Then .Add Cl.Value, Nothing
      Next Cl
   End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm attempting to copy one specific column (containing string values) from a table and then narrow them down to unique values only and get rid of blanks. I've scoured the internet and am still not sure of a good way to handle this. I have found where I can easily copy an entire table into an array, but I just want one column for now. My ultimate plan is to use those unique values to roll up dollar values in another column in the same table. Basically very similar to what a pivot table would do. But I need to add some more functionality later, so a pivot table won't do. Thanks!
It is not clear to me where you want the unique, non-blank values to go, so I put them in Column Z. I assumed you are running the macro with the worksheet containing the Excel Table object as the active sheet (change to a specific sheet reference if you want) and since you did not tell us which column within the Excel Table object, I assume the Table's column head text to be "Header Column Name" (change to your actual head name)...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub UniqueValues()
  Dim R As Long, Data As Variant, Uniques As Variant
  Data = [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]ActiveSheet[/COLOR][/B].ListObjects("Table1").ListColumns("[B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Header Column Name[/COLOR][/B]").DataBodyRange
  ReDim Uniques(1 To UBound(Data), 1 To 1)
  With CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
    For R = 1 To UBound(Data)
      If Len(Data(R, 1)) Then .Item(Data(R, 1)) = 1
    Next
    [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]ActiveSheet[/COLOR][/B].Range("Z1").Resize(.Count) = Application.Transpose(.Keys)
  End With
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
Thank you, I'm going to give this a try. I don't know what the CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary") part is all about and the Transpose with the .Keys.

Upvote 0
Thank you both. I feel like my horizons just got broadened. Is there a way to put that unique set into a new array if needed?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there a way to put that unique set into a new array if needed?
For the code I posted in Message #3 , declare your array variable (I'll give it the name Arr for example purposes) as Variant and then make this assignment immediately before the End..With statement...

Arr = .Keys

Arr will be a one-dimensional array whose first element number will be 0 (zero).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back