Module name added to calls to personal add-in module

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a personal add-in module that I have used for years. It is called zzz add-ins.xlam and is stored, along with a couple of other add-in modules, here:
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns
It contains dozens of UDFs that I have written over the years and that are used in hundreds of workbooks.

I have a workbook, Magazine log.xlam, that I use to keep track of magazines that I give to the grandkids on their birthdays. It has a code module (Module1) that contains a couple of UDFs that are specific to that workbook. It also has calls to a couple of UDFs in the add-in module. I have used that workbook for years.

Today, I was doing some work in the magazine workbook to add a couple of magazines. That sheet has calls to two UDFs in my add-in module, NextBirthday and MyFmtAge. I happened to notice that all of the calls to NextBirthday in my add-in module have been changed to include the add-in module name. For example, instead of
Code:
=nextbirthday(C7)
it is now
Code:
='zzz Add-Ins.xlam'!nextbirthday(C7)
Interestingly, none of the calls to MyFmtAge, which is in the same add-in module, have the module name added.

If I remove the module name from the calls to NextBirthday, they get a #REF ! error and the UDF is never called.

I don't know how long it has been like that. I just noticed it today, but I am sure that it was not that way when I created the workbook originally.

When I checked the two UDFs, I noticed that MyFmtAge was declared Public and NextBirthday was not.
Code:
Function NextBirthday(DoB As Date, Optional vToday As Date) As Date
Public Function MyFmtAge(P_AgeFrom As Variant _
              , Optional P_Units As String = "*" _
              , Optional P_LabelSw As String = "Long" _
              , Optional P_DP As Integer = 1 _
              , Optional P_AgeTo As Variant _
              , Optional P_NegText As Variant _
                ) As Variant
I changed NextBirthday to add "Public".
Code:
Public Function NextBirthday(DoB As Date, Optional vToday As Date) As Date
It still fails.

Can someone give me a clue as to what the problem is and how to fix it?

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
PS: If I put the exact same expression
Code:
=nextbirthday(C7)
in a new workbook, it works perfectly.

Upvote 0
I suspect you have something else open that has (or had) a nextBirthday function in it - most likely the workbook in question. Do you have a particular reason for trying to remove the add-in name from the function?

Strictly speaking, 'zzz Add-Ins.xlam' is not a module name, it's the add-in name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suspect you have something else open that has (or had) a nextBirthday function in it - most likely the workbook in question.
You've done it again, Rory. I named the column containing the next birthdays of the kids "NextBirthday". Excel promptly cleaned up the calls to the UDF by adding the add-in name.

Do you have a particular reason for trying to remove the add-in name from the function?
Mainly I wanted to know why it was there in case it was caused by some error, which it was -- an error on my part. I don't like things that I don't understand. Sadly, that includes a lot of things. (sigh)

Strictly speaking, 'zzz Add-Ins.xlam' is not a module name, it's the add-in name.
Yep, I was just being lazy/careless.

Thanks for helping me find the error. It would have bugged me all day like a pebble in my shoe.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back