Case Sensitive Match

ManUBlueJay

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am working on a very large genealogy project.
I am trying to extract and update names that come in this format: (Last name (Husband "and" Wife) example "Meyer (George and Molly)"
There are thousands of entries and a bunch of names appear inside the name example there are names "Goldmeyer"
So when I match First name Meyer it finds GOld Meyer and messes up my formula. I use Offset, Match using the & key to make a string "*"&Meyer"& ("&"*"
Is there a way to make it case sensitive then it will ignore the Goldmyer as the meyer in Goldmeyer is lower case. Or a way to tell it that the Meyer search needs to begin with the first character.
Here is my full formula: Trying to make a drop down list of names to choose that start have the last name "Meyer"
=OFFSET('New Entry'!$A$6,MATCH("*"&'New Entry'!$I$2&" ("&"*",TEXT(A_Family_NameRange,"0"),0),0,SUMPRODUCT((LEN(A_Family_NameRange)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A_Family_NameRange,'New Entry'!$I$2&" (","")))/LEN('New Entry'!$I$2&" (")))
It should bring back the 2 Meyer families

Family Names
Bundt (Bud and Buddy)
Goldmeyer (Joe and Jill)
Meyer (George and Molly)
Meyer (Sam and Sally)
Schmoe (Joe and Josie)

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

A6 is the beginning of my long range of names. (In the above example would be "Family Names"
"A_Family_NameRange" represents the entire list of names in a named range
I2 is where the word Meyer would be entered manually
The rest is determing the height of the offset range.

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I'm probably not reading this cleanly but "*"&Meyer"& ("&"*" is giving you a wild card search before Meyer

Upvote 0
It is searching WIld card for "Meyer (". I put that in as I was getting firt names coming up in searches. The are many George as first name and as last names but the Last name (Husband "and" Wife) is consistent. A better suggestion might fix the problem. This eliminated the first name extraction.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back