Problems opening Excel 2003 files after Windows 10 update

cedricthecat

Just been forced to do an update of W10 (to Version 1803)

I use Excel 2003 (although I also have 2007) as I just prefer it, and this morning, after the update was done, noticed a couple of .xls files opened and then immediately closed without warning, effectively an Excel crash I think as they were in the list of recently auto-saved files on re-opening

All then seemed to have settled, until I just tried to open a file which is actually on my OH's laptop, which is networked to mine (it's a file we both access daily). This file has a single cell link reference to another one on her laptop. On opening the file, I got the prompt to update the link contents, then Excel just closed and vanished. I then tried dragging the file to my desktop, and it did the same. Next step was to try it in 2007 and it opened fine, so I tried dropping the link, closing and re-opening in 2003. This new version did allow me to open in 2003, but when closing, this VBA failed

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Range("SheetName") = ActiveSheet.Name
End Sub

So, nothing really obvious as to what is going on here. All of my other files (as checked, so far) seem fine

I can of course use 2007 for this file, but I'd rather get back to being able to use 2003 and thus need to get to the bottom of this

Has anyone else come across issues following the 1803 upgrade?

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I don't have a solution for you, but I will leave a comment. I also liked the simplicity of the xl2003 version. I had vba procedures stored in a file from my days before retirement, which contained some complex data manipultions among different applications, workbooks and sheets. These were programs as apposed to macros. I ended up abandoning those files because it wouold have taken a complete rewrite for them to work and since I no longer have access to some of the databases, it would be an exercise in futility to do a re-write. However, I still refer to some of the procedures from time to time for method when I am stuck on a project. So they do still have value, although they will not run without anomally.

I think that the software people at MS are ignoring the older versions when the "enhance" the newer versions of Office applications, especially in Excel. Yes, there are more bells and whistles in the newer version, but there hasn't been a big change in the basics or how users apply the tools that are available.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't have a solution for you, but I will leave a comment. I also liked the simplicity of the xl2003 version. I had vba procedures stored in a file from my days before retirement, which contained some complex data manipultions among different applications, workbooks and sheets. These were programs as apposed to macros. I ended up abandoning those files because it wouold have taken a complete rewrite for them to work and since I no longer have access to some of the databases, it would be an exercise in futility to do a re-write. However, I still refer to some of the procedures from time to time for method when I am stuck on a project. So they do still have value, although they will not run without anomally.

I think that the software people at MS are ignoring the older versions when the "enhance" the newer versions of Office applications, especially in Excel. Yes, there are more bells and whistles in the newer version, but there hasn't been a big change in the basics or how users apply the tools that are available.

When you are used to something and don't want/need to change, it's galling to be forced to! Like yourself, I have many Workbooks with lots of code in, which just work. I don't need 2007!

Upvote 0
A report that Excel 2003 crashes by Windows 10 (1803 update) is posted on forums around the world.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows10+1803+Excel2003

Spotted some of these after posting

The Workbooks I thought were working on my own laptop, aren't! Enter text, no problem, enter numbers - Excel vanishes! :(

Searching for a solution. If I can't find one, I'll have to revert to my previous version of W10. Just wish you could stop the updates...

Upvote 0
Spotted some of these after posting

The Workbooks I thought were working on my own laptop, aren't! Enter text, no problem, enter numbers - Excel vanishes! :(

Searching for a solution. If I can't find one, I'll have to revert to my previous version of W10. Just wish you could stop the updates...

I believe there is a system setting for the user to block updates by requiring approval before they can process. Don't remember exactly where it is, but it must be in control panel somewhere. The thing is that most of the updates are security updates and if you don't allow them, you are subjecting your system to infiltration of viruses and malware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe there is a system setting for the user to block updates by requiring approval before they can process. Don't remember exactly where it is, but it must be in control panel somewhere. The thing is that most of the updates are security updates and if you don't allow them, you are subjecting your system to infiltration of viruses and malware.

Yes, you are right with this

Briefly, this got much worse before it got better. I tried setting Excel 2003 to open in Compatibility Mode, and this gave me "Could not load" errors, followed by allowing files to load, but only after stripping all the VBA from them! :eek:

After this, I decided to roll back the update, in the hope I'd be able to defer it until it's had these Excel/Office issues fixed. I expected the update to take the same 2-3 hours to uninstall as it had taken to install, but actually it was only half an hour max. I also expected this not to have worked with the Excel issue, but it did!

More research on updates suggests there should be a "snooze" option when the banner appears to tell you it's going to happen, and that you can defer up to 180 days. Mine didn't have this, but a kind of work-around is supposed to exist, in setting your connection to "metered" which purportedly puts you, the user, back in control of update downloads. We shall see! In the meantime, Excel works, which is a relief!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back