AUtomatically sorting data as rows are updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrot

Hello! I am an excel novice, but I want to learn, and could use some help!

I have an excel spreadsheet, which tracks documents that go through several phases. At each phase, I insert the date in a new column. The dates are in columns C-K. As I enter in a new row for a document, it is assigned a number and name into columns A and B, then as I push the document along, I enter a date in columns C-K as they occur. A total row goes from A-Q ans there are a couple more columns on the end with supplemental information.

I currently have it conditionally formatted to change color as each date is entered, and I have applied a filter to where, when applied, it puts the newest documents on top and oldest on bottom based off of the cell color. I would like to make this filter either:

OPTION 1: Change automatically as data is entered. This creates an issue as after you enter the first column, it shifts it around so you have to locate it to continue to the second column and so on. If anyone knows of a fix (like where a row won't move until you complete work in that row) that would be ideal.

OPTION 2: Update and apply the filter every time the document os saved, or opened.

OPTION 3: Does anyone with more expertise have a better way to apply the filter?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
I tried the coding below but I can't get it to work. I recorded myself using the autosort that I had created, then tried to apply it to the spreadsheet everytime it is close. Unfortunately it isnt working. Any help?Sub Auto_Close()
'
' sort Macro
' autosort rows based on stage
'

'
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("T_MOR").AutoFilter.ApplyFilter
With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("DATA").ListObjects("T_MOR").sort
.Header = xlYes
.MatchCase = False
.Orientation = xlTopToBottom
.SortMethod = xlPinYin
.Apply
End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Sub Auto_Close()
'
' sort Macro
' autosort rows based on stage
'

'
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("T_MOR").AutoFilter.ApplyFilter
With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("DATA").ListObjects("T_MOR").sort
.Header = xlYes
.MatchCase = False
.Orientation = xlTopToBottom
.SortMethod = xlPinYin
.Apply
End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Duplicate https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel...ing-help-sorting-data-please.html#post5084835

Please do not post the same question multiple times. All clarifications, follow-ups, and bumps should be posted back to the original thread.
Per forum rules, posts of a duplicate nature will be locked or deleted (rule 12 here: Forum Rules).

If you do not receive a response, you can "bump" it by replying to it again, though we advise you to wait 24 hours before doing and not to bump a thread more than once a day.
As you have had a response on the other thread, I'll close this one

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back